PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good DVD Player

snakeman21
August 8th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hi all. My wife recently started watching Stargate DVDs on her laptop. We both run Jaunty, and use VLC for DVD movies. But my wife doesn't like having to bring up the separate control window just to pause the movie. What she wants is a good DVD application that she can watch in full screen, but she wants to be able to move the mouse to the bottom to bring up a simple control. I'm making this sound more complicated than it is... Basically, she wants something with a full screen mode that works like Totem's full screen mode. Totem does not handle DVDs well (if at all) or she'd use that. Any ideas? I just don't want to download every Ubuntu DVD player under the sun to find the right one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Katalog
August 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Totem is perfectly capable of handling DVDs if you have a certain library installed, a library which is questionably illegal in the U.S. If you live in a different country (or just have a blatant disregard for the DMCA) though, it might be different in your case. For more information on these restricted formats read this page in the Ubuntu Wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Arup
August 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Install mplayer and smplayer, the smplayer front end is an excellent interface for watching DVD in full screen.

snakeman21
August 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I just tried the SMPlayer front end. That's the right idea, but there's one major flaw: No menu button! My wife usually watches one or two episodes at a time, then puts it away for later. She wants to be able to use the DVD menu to choose the episode she left off at.

rvm4000
August 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
First be sure the option "Enable DVD menus" (in preferences -> drives) is enabled.

There's an option to go to the DVD menu in the "Browse" menu. (This option is assigned by default to the key shortcut Shift+Return)

andriusbu
August 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi all. My wife recently started watching Stargate DVDs on her laptop. We both run Jaunty, and use VLC for DVD movies. But my wife doesn't like having to bring up the separate control window just to pause the movie. What she wants is a good DVD application that she can watch in full screen, but she wants to be able to move the mouse to the bottom to bring up a simple control. I'm making this sound more complicated than it is... Basically, she wants something with a full screen mode that works like Totem's full screen mode. Totem does not handle DVDs well (if at all) or she'd use that. Any ideas? I just don't want to download every Ubuntu DVD player under the sun to find the right one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Could be only one option for your wife - Moovidia (former Elisa). Apple style GUI, perfect play DVDs. (Tested yesterday on Ubuntu 8.10) Probably most visualised Media Center ever are.

Arup
August 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Best part is smplayer will start the movie from where you left off so you don't have to hunt for the chapter.

snakeman21
August 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Best part is smplayer will start the movie from where you left off so you don't have to hunt for the chapter.

Not when you watch an episode, remove the disk, watch a movie, then try to watch another episode.

qamelian
August 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
You don't need to bring up a separate control window to pause. Hitting the space bar toggles pause on and of in VLC.

snakeman21
August 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
First be sure the option "Enable DVD menus" (in preferences -> drives) is enabled.

There's an option to go to the DVD menu in the "Browse" menu. (This option is assigned by default to the key shortcut Shift+Return)

I think you're talking about a different program. There is no menu option the the browse menu, and there is no "enable DVD menus" option in preferences > drives

snakeman21
August 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
You don't need to bring up a separate control window to pause. Hitting the space bar toggles pause on and of in VLC.

Sorry for the double post, but thanks, that works!

rvm4000
August 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I think you're talking about a different program. There is no menu option the the browse menu, and there is no "enable DVD menus" option in preferences > drives

It seems you have an old version (those options were added in version 0.6.7). Update it:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer

It also recommended that you update mplayer too if still using the old 1.0rc2:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

ratcheer
August 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
My strongest recommendation is for vlc.

Tim

snakeman21
August 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
It seems you have an old version (those options were added in version 0.6.7). Update it:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer

It also recommended that you update mplayer too if still using the old 1.0rc2:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

nope, I checked in Synaptic...It's all up to date... It doesn't matter, though, I'm going to remove it and just leave her with vlc... now that we know the spacebar pauses it