PDA

View Full Version : ereaders

colsandurz
August 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm looking to buy an ereader. I'm not really too sure about what to get though. So far I know of the Amazon Kindle, the Foxit eSlick, the Hanlin eReaders, and the Sony ereaders.

I don't really like the Kindle or the Sony eReader. The kindle is really expensive and has some features I don't really want (like wireless 3G). I don't trust sony at all (I don't want to have to buy a memory stick).

This leaves the hanlin and eSlick eReaders. The hanlin V5 are the eSlick are about the same price ($250). Does anyone have an exerience with either product and using it with Ubuntu?? Or even have any insight into which one might be better. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I'm looking to buy an ereader. I'm not really too sure about what to get though. So far I know of the Amazon Kindle, the Foxit eSlick, the Hanlin eReaders, and the Sony ereaders.

I don't really like the Kindle or the Sony eReader. The kindle is really expensive and has some features I don't really want (like wireless 3G). I don't trust sony at all (I don't want to have to buy a memory stick).

This leaves the hanlin and eSlick eReaders. The hanlin V5 are the eSlick are about the same price ($250). Does anyone have an exerience with either product and using it with Ubuntu?? Or even have any insight into which one might be better. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
Amazon/Kindle is also a bit untrustworthy as shown in this NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html); and your right to keep an eye on Sony as well (I'm hypocritical on this issue though I admit, I own a PS3), I know I won't likely ever forget the Sony rootkit audio cd's (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174334,00.html). All in all, you gotta watch your back when working with Mega Corp Technology, remember, your a revenue stream to be optimized, nothing more.

3rdalbum
August 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM
That was Sony Entertainment that put the rootkits on the CDs. The company that makes the e-reader is Sony Consumer Electronics. SCE is harmless and has recently said that it wants to open up more. Apparently SCE is working on an Android-powered MP3 player. Speaking of MP3 players, their Walkman range works with Linux...