PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two computers running Heron, only one broadcasts its name to router

ladasky
August 8th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Quick question, I hope...

I have two computers. One: an older IBM ThinkPad laptop. The other: a new AMD triple-core desktop. Both have had Ubuntu 8.04 installed from the same CD-ROM. I haven't messed with network settings in a major way, as far as I know.

My home router is a Linksys WRT54G. I am trying to troubleshoot various networking problems which arose when I starting changing computers and upgrading software.

Ubuntu is supposed to supply a computer's name to a router. Well, the laptop's name shows up on the router's DHCP client table. But the desktop machine does not.

I have a printer connected to the desktop machine. I'm thinking that correcting this naming problem might help me restore printer sharing. Curiously, I designated a folder as "shared" on my desktop machine (the one without the visible name) and, after some software was installed (Samba?), it is visible from the laptop.

Thanks for any advice!

Iowan
August 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Check /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - there's a line:
send host-name "<hostname>";that can be modified to (manually) include the machine name.

ladasky
August 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Check /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - there's a line:
send host-name "<hostname>";that can be modified to (manually) include the machine name.

Thank you, Iowan, that solved my problem!

Now, I have to say, I'm baffled by the large differences between the dhclient.conf files installed on the two machines. Yes, I know, one's a laptop and the other's connecting by hard link. Still, the laptop got a well-annotated, 50-line shell script, and all the desktop got was this:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, ntp-servers;

It was formatted without any line breaks, too, exactly as you see there.

I added the send host-name command as you suggested. I got better results when I made the send host-name command the first command in dhclient.conf -- because the second line requests it right back.