PDA

View Full Version : What I found on valve's ftp server.....

dragos240
August 8th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I was browsing their ftp server, (which the username and password are both 'hlserver') and saw a single file. They're latest version of the source engine. I looked inside to find LINUX LIBRARY FILES. AND a file that was named 'steamclient_i486.so'. I think they ARE indeed still working on a Linux native client.

doorknob60
August 8th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Didn't we hear about this a few months ago? Or is this something else.

dragos240
August 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure. But this is just my find.

Muffinabus
August 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM
What's the server address?

dragos240
August 8th, 2009, 02:08 AM
What's the server address?
ftp://ftp.valvesoftware.com/

Use hlserver as username and password.

CharmyBee
August 8th, 2009, 02:16 AM
That's probably only as a bootstrap to get a dedicated server running along with the Steam master server, for authorization of legal copies. Nothing about OMG!!! HL2 ON LINUX!!! or anything.

Bölvağur
August 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
hold your breath (for few seconds at least) this might only be server side of things (again)

**added**
**edit**
oh you need to use archive mounter for this -.-

*added for the last time*

THIS IS A SERVER!!!!
File list:

/
srcds_i486

/bin
datacache_i486.so
dedicated_i486.so
engine_i486.so
libsteamvalidateuseridtickets_i486.so
materialsystem_i486.so
scenefilecache_i486.so
shaderapiempty_i486.so
soundemittersystem_i486.so
steam_api_i486.so
steamclient_i486.so
studiorender_i486.so
tier0_i486.so
tier0_s_i486.so
unitlib_i486.so
vphysics_i486.so
vstdlib_i486.so
vstdlib_s_i486.so

/tf/bin/
server_i486.so

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Is what you did legal? I really doubt if they have a copy of the engine available for anyone to legally look at.

zekopeko
August 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Is what you did legal? I really doubt if they have a copy of the engine available for anyone to legally look at.

Perhaps not in source code, but binary is fine.

chriskin
August 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
it seems that it just for the server side, as i can't see why someone would make a game that asks for payment for linux - as most of linux users want free (if possible even open source) apps, games included. but it would be really nice to have some games coming - the community's response to heroes of newerth has shown that linux users include some gamers as well

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Perhaps not in source code, but binary is fine.

That's true. But I was wondering if it was legal to get onto their ftp like that and let everyone know their user name and password.

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
it seems that it just for the server side, as i can't see why someone would make a game that asks for payment for linux - as most of linux users want free (if possible even open source) apps, games included. but it would be really nice to have some games coming - the community's response to heroes of newerth has shown that linux users include some gamers as well

I buy Linux native games when a genre I enjoy is available. I think "free lunch" Linux users exist, but I don't think they are the dominate force; though I will say, it would be hard to sell me, just a photo hobbiest, Photoshop when I already have The Gimp; though I would bet professionals would be more than happy to pay for something like Photoshop. But I have bought Nero Linux Edition because I like it so much, even though there are great alternative free lunch burning utilities in the repositories. So it really I think boils down to what type and level of functionality in the software the user wants that will be deterministic of whether they would pay or not; free as in beer is a bonus, not the selling point. Just my .02.

Eviltechie
August 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
You do realize that they have a linux version of their dedicated server.

chriskin
August 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I buy Linux native games when a genre I enjoy is available. I think "free lunch" Linux users exist, but I don't think they are the dominate force; though I will say, it would be hard to sell me, just a photo hobbiest, Photoshop when I already have The Gimp; though I would bet professionals would be more than happy to pay for something like Photoshop. But I have bought Nero Linux Edition because I like it so much, even though there are great alternative free lunch burning utilities in the repositories. So it really I think boils down to what type and level of functionality in the software the user wants that will be deterministic of whether they would pay or not; free as in beer is a bonus, not the selling point. Just my .02.

consider this point :
*linux users are already so few
*half of them think that All apps Have to be open-source
*half of the rest want it to be at least free of charge
am i wrong until now?

then you have something like 0.5% of the marketshare consisting of linux users who would buy something good - yourself and myself included as it seems. if you owned a company, would you make the port for the game? i would only do it for personal reasons, if i wasn't a linux user, a seriously doubt that i would even think about it for more than a minute.

CharmyBee
August 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
You do realize that they have a linux version of their dedicated server.

And they've been providing that for over 10 years.

Had Half-Life been released in this day and age, there would be "linux version!!!" rumors over the Tux icon for the server list.

Dark Aspect
August 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Doesn't this belong in Gaming & Leisure (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93)?

chriskin
August 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Doesn't this belong in Gaming & Leisure (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93)?

i would say "no" , as it is about the possibility of games coming to linux, not the experience of already existing games
i might be wrong though

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 04:11 AM
consider this point :
am i wrong until now?

then you have something like 0.5% of the marketshare consisting of linux users who would buy something good - yourself and myself included as it seems. if you owned a company, would you make the port for the game? i would only do it for personal reasons, if i wasn't a linux user, a seriously doubt that i would even think about it for more than a minute.

Evidently some game companies think there are enough of us to turn a profit on, which likely means that more than half of us do not require things to be open source; and also means that it is more than likely that more than half of us are willing to pay. Not saying your entirely wrong, just saying that a few companies have rolled the dice on Linux, and done okay with it. Something to consider.

CJ Master
August 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM
consider this point :
am i wrong until now?

When World of Goo was released to Linux it almost got as many sales as the Windows version (I contributed to that!) Something to consider.

Eviltechie
August 8th, 2009, 05:28 AM
http://www.slipgate.de/hltv/hltv_FAQ_admins.html

Looks like it might have something to do with HLTV.

swoll1980
August 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
it seems that it just for the server side, as i can't see why someone would make a game that asks for payment for linux - as most of linux users want free (if possible even open source) apps, games included.

I'm glad you know what we want, because I wasn't sure until now.

chriskin
August 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
When World of Goo was released to Linux it almost got as many sales as the Windows version (I contributed to that!) Something to consider.

me too :)

I'm glad you know what we want, because I wasn't sure until now.

you keep on saying sarcastic comments about everyone , everywhere. if they were successfully funny ones, i would appreciate them, but i have been ignoring your posts from the beginning , as most are written without thinking :)

Evidently some game companies think there are enough of us to turn a profit on, which likely means that more than half of us do not require things to be open source; and also means that it is more than likely that more than half of us are willing to pay. Not saying your entirely wrong, just saying that a few companies have rolled the dice on Linux, and done okay with it. Something to consider.

let me correct this for you though "that a few companies"... should be "that few companies" :) i can't name more than 10 modern looking games that have been ported to linux :S

most of the "numbers" i mentioned might be a little too much, but by searching about closed source vs open source polls in these forums, that's the answer that you will get (two polls i found had a majority of people voting on "i would use free software unless it is a real need" or something like that)

anyway, i sure hope that games start coming this way, i keep a dual boot these days for anno 1404 and it is starting to become a little too boring having to reboot each time

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM

I'd say that it's more likely that there was a Linux fanatic involved in the game production than it is that they thought they could turn a profit on it.

RATM_Owns
August 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Upon execution of srcds_i486:

Warning: falling back to auto detection of vproject directory.
Unable to find gameinfo.txt. Solutions:

1. Read http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/faq.html#NoGameDir
2. Run vconfig to specify which game you're working on.
3. Add -game <path> on the command line where <path> is the directory that gameinfo.txt is in.

Unable to find gameinfo.txt. Solutions:

1. Read http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/faq.html#NoGameDir
2. Run vconfig to specify which game you're working on.
3. Add -game <path> on the command line where <path> is the directory that gameinfo.txt is in.Read the #2. "To specify which game you're working on."

EDIT: Oh, and also, it's from over a year ago.

CharmyBee
August 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
srcds = Source Dedicated Server. #2 does not show it's a development tool. This is just an error that it's executed without a game set or a data folder missing.

I hate false rumors.

RATM_Owns
August 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I didn't say it was a development tool...

I was saying that to point out that it wasn't a Steam Linux Client.