PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to upgrade to firecfox 3.5.2

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I am new to ubuntu and would like to know how to upgrade to firefox 3.5.2. I did a search on this and found some strange ways to install and I was wondering why there is no easy way to upgrade to the latest version. I am pro-linux and was disappointed to find that the upgradxe on windows seemed a lot easier. Am I missing something?

snowpine
August 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
The instructions only seem `strange` because you are `new to ubuntu.` Just follow the directions step by step, and ask lots of questions if you get confused.

To answer the question behind your question, Ubuntu is designed so that big upgrades are lumped together every six months. This makes testing easier so your system can be super-stable. Firefox 3.5.x will be the default browser for Ubuntu 9.10, which will be released in October. If you can`t wait that long and want FF 3.5 now, you will have to install it yourself, following those strange directions. :)

Here is a great tutorial: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am a big advocate of Linux and Ubuntu. I will try the instructions and let you know if you have any questions.

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 03:04 AM
OK did that but not sure that it was done correctly because I don't seem to be able to run the new version. I tried running the normal firefox from the applications menu but it is still the old version. I also tried to run from the /opt directory but it did not work.

Any ideas?

I still think it is easier just to click on the executable like it is in Windows. I think I should have the choice to upgrade if I wish.

Regards,

Jeffrey

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Actually I got it now. I just haqd to close my open browsers. The video helped as well. Thank you. This is great I am on 3.5.2 now.

Thanks.

snowpine
August 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
That's strange, the tutorial I linked to (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox) is from a pretty reliable source (ubuntu forums moderator aisyu). Maybe go back through again and make sure you followed it exactly... did you follow along with the video?? (edit: never mind, I see you got it working, that's great!!!)

You might argue that it's "easier" to upgrade applications in Windows, but I would also argue that it's also easier to "break" a Windows system. :) Installing things you download from the internet is a very "Windows-y" way of doing things. In Linux, we typically install from a "repository" of tested and trusted applications. You may not get the very latest version of something, but your system will be very stable.

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks again. By the way that is a great website it seems to have lots of information.

I see your point on installations but I would still like the power to make the choice myself. I would also like to install some other new versions of software,i.e.bygfoot which is only available in ubuntu with version 2.0.1 and has a newer stable version 2.2.1. Who is responsible for updating the latest stable versions for software. It seems like a lot of software out there and so far it seems I found one instance where the latest software was not listed in package manager. Any thoughts?

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
That website you gave has a lot of great information and it seems they have an article covering this. Let me have a read of it and I will get back with any outstanding questions.

Thanks again. I am happy on 3.5.2 now and starting to already get the feel for this new os.

:popcorn:

snowpine
August 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks again. By the way that is a great website it seems to have lots of information.

I see your point on installations but I would still like the power to make the choice myself. I would also like to install some other new versions of software,i.e.bygfoot which is only available in ubuntu with version 2.0.1 and has a newer stable version 2.2.1. Who is responsible for updating the latest stable versions for software. It seems like a lot of software out there and so far it seems I found one instance where the latest software was not listed in package manager. Any thoughts?

Maybe Ubuntu is not the distro for you... Certain Linux distros are called "rolling release," which means they are constantly being updated so you get new versions of applications as soon as they are available. Arch, Debian Sid, and Sidux are examples of rolling release distros.

Ubuntu is a "timed release" distro, which means major updates are lumped together every six months, and once a release is finalized, you only get minor updates such as security patches and bug fixes (until the next release six months later).

Arup
August 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
You should be looking at sidux, anyways if you install FF 3.5 from the repos, it automatically updates to the latest version.

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM
OK thanks. What are the down sides of Sidux. I think I am starting to like ubuntu though. The community here seems really great with very fast responses.

I go tmy firefox 3.5.2 now and am happy and can stick around. I needed this to sync bookmarks, passwords, etc with Weave addon.

Thanks for all your help!

jeffrey2009
August 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
By the way is there a way to tell someone about an updated version of software, for example bygfoot (soccer gane) is stable at 2.2.1 and ubuntu has it at 2.0.1.

snowpine
August 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM
http://packages.ubuntu.com is a really cool website, it will tell you for example that bygfoot 2.3.1 will be in the next Ubuntu (9.10 Karmic Koala). It will never be included for 9.04 Jaunty because it does not fall under the category of a security update/bug fix. :)

Sidux is a "bleeding edge" based on Debian Unstable/Sid, which means it can be up to 6 months ahead of Ubuntu. They do not support Gnome (KDE or Xfce only) and are very strict about including only "free" software. The Sidux community is just about the exact opposite of Ubuntu's; you are likely to get some interesting responses if you ask a stupid question on their forums. ;)

Arup
August 8th, 2009, 05:26 AM
On a side not on sidux, smxi is the only hope for a novice running sidux, or else you wont have any codecs or drivers installed.

snowpine
August 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM
On a side not on sidux, smxi is the only hope for a novice running sidux, or else you wont have any codecs or drivers installed.

Try sharing that opinion on the Sidux forums, see what happens. ;)