PDA

View Full Version : Is this efficiant?

swoll1980
August 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
[Python] Or was there a better way to do this?

Can+~
August 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Do you have something against the [PHP] tags? They need some love too, you know.

doas777
August 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
prolly. it doesn;t look inefficient. your only loops are defined by user input, so theres nothing you can do to reduce the number of calls. its O(n).

swoll1980
August 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Do you have something against the [PHP] tags? They need some love too, you know.

Would you think I was stupid if I had no idea what you were talking about?

doas777
August 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM

the sites "Code" tags. when you wanna post code, just click the bold "#" at the top of the post editor pane, and put your code within the tags.

that way it
looks
this

Can+~
August 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Yes, but then again, I think everyone is stupid. That's because my mom told me I was special... oh wait...

Anyway, back on topic, I meant using the PHP tags instead of uploading a PDF. Which has the added bonus of adding syntax highlighting.

#backup calculator 1.1
#Nolan Bloor
#03 Aug 2009
def main():
print "Welcome to the T & N backup calculator"
maxSpace = input ("What is the capicity of the drive? (MBs) ")
usedSpace = input ("How much space ( MBs) are you currently useing? ")
avSpace = maxSpace - usedSpace
print
print "You currently have",avSpace,"MBs available to you"
print
userChoice = "1"
while userChoice == "1" or userChoice == "2":
userChoice = showMenu()
if userChoice == "2":
newSpace = subtract(avSpace,maxSpace)
if newSpace == "fault":
print "Sorry try again."
print
else:
print
print "Your new available hard drive space would be", newSpace,"MB"
print
elif userChoice == "1":
newSpace = add(avSpace)
if newSpace == "fault":
print "Sorry try again."
print
else:
print
print "Your new available hard drive space would be", newSpace,"MB"
print
else:
print "Good Bye"
def add(avSpace):
addedSpace = input ("How much space does the backup require? ")
pWeek = input ("How many times a week would you like to make this backup? ")
perWeek = pWeek * addedSpace
newSpace = avSpace - perWeek
print
print "This backup requires",perWeek,"MBs of drive space"
if newSpace < 0:
print
print "You do not have enough space for this backup."
print
newSpace = "fault"
return (newSpace)
def subtract(avSpace,maxSpace):
subSpace = input ("How much space did the backup use? ")
newSpace = avSpace + subSpace
if newSpace > maxSpace:
print
print "That's more space than you started with. You must be smokin'
something!"
print
newSpace = "fault"
return (newSpace)

def showMenu():
userChoice = "0"
while userChoice == "0":
print "Enter 1 to add backup."
print "Enter 2 to remove a backup."
print "Enter 3 to exit."
userChoice = raw_input ("Enter your choice ")
if userChoice != "1" and userChoice != "2" and userChoice != "3":
print
print "Please choose a number between 1-3"
print
userChoice = "0"
return (userChoice)
main()

*edit: I'm pretty sure there other ways to get the Free space available on the hard disk. There's an interesting thread about this (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-January/065911.html) (read the subsequent responses)

*edit2: Whoops, wrong link above, fixed.

*edit3: Well, now that I've read the whole code: You should probably code the "functionality" of an application before delving into the user interface. It's better having something useful without an interface than an interface without something useful behind.

This is specially to make a distinction between "working code" (Back-end) and "user input" (Front-end), you may later want to replace the Command line interface with a GTK+ GUI or something.

swoll1980
August 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
The program above is not intended to ever be used. I'm just trying to learn the basics of Python as of right now. This was a exercise in the lab section of my text book. Since I'm not being graded on this particular exorcise, there's no way for me to know if I did it efficiently. That's where you guys come in. I did the php code by hand one time, and I was like "Wow that's a pain in the butt" I found the php code button on the forums here now that I knew what I was looking for. The program is supposed to calculate how much disk space they would have after the addition, or removal of a back up. It is to have a menu, and it is to have error messages if the user doesn't follow the instructions, or makes a mistake.

doas777
August 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
The program above is not intended to ever be used. I'm just trying to learn the basics of Python as of right now. This was a exercise in the lab section of my text book. Since I'm not being graded on this particular exorcise, there's no way for me to know if I did it efficiently. That's where you guys come in. I did the php code by hand one time, and I was like "Wow that's a pain in the butt" I found the php code button on the forums here now that I knew what I was looking for. The program is supposed to calculate how much disk space they would have after the addition, or removal of a back up. It is to have a menu, and it is to have error messages if the user doesn't follow the instructions, or makes a mistake.

"algorithmic efficiency" is usually applied to looping data structures, and is measured in what is called "Big O" notation. you usually hear it applied to sort or search code, or list processing tasks.

as far as your code is concerned, try to loop as little as possible and make sure your exit conditions (the circumstances under which loop ends) are solid, and occur as soon as possible.

other than that, try to accomplish what you want in the fewest operations. that does not necessarily mean fewer lines (a string of 6 method calls chained together is equally efficient to 6 lines with one call each).

when your working with langagues like python, java, and C#, the inefficiency of the interpreter is probably a bigger hit to performance than most of the code you could write.