PDA

View Full Version : Cloud storage vs Local storage

Vostrocity
August 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Which do you trust more in general?

VCoolio
August 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
As for losing I backup and I assume in the cloud there are backups. As for privacy I only trust local and even that not 100 %. Biggest problem with the cloud is that I don't trust my internet connection. No internet = no access to files I need working on? No way.

perlluver
August 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I trust local more, I need access to my files from everywhere, I am a DJ, and use my computer for music storage. I kind of need them files with me. Also, to upload 25 GB of music, would take just short of forever. Local storage it is for me.

Humanum
August 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Would rather prefer to have all things i need and that are mine on my hard disk ....

But the cloud is already out there ... The whole email system was the beginning of the cloud, we are just moving to the next level ... So ...

j.bell730
August 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, it's not that I don't trust Google -- I don't care that they are collecting some information about me -- it's just that I don't trust that my document will get uploaded successfully every time.

Vostrocity
August 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ok I know that some things like video-editing NEED local storage. But I have to say I trust putting my most important data (email, calendar, etc) in the cloud more. If you're using a reliable provider like Google, security isn't a problem. And since I use a laptop my local storage could easily get stolen or broken.

bodyharvester
August 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
that was a tough question to answer!

i chose cloud, its where all the stuff i dont yet know is :p like more about linux

blur xc
August 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I trust local more, I need access to my files from everywhere, I am a DJ, and use my computer for music storage. I kind of need them files with me. Also, to upload 25 GB of music, would take just short of forever. Local storage it is for me.

I've got over 400gb of photos, and one uncompressed tiff file can easily be more than 50mb. How long would a save take??

And what about the guy that posted in another thread that he had 6tb of video footage?

Not practical. For normal office type work, it'd probably be ok, though. But I still wouldn't like it. Chalk me up as one of the anti-cloud computing hold outs.

BM

Skripka
August 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Just say NO to drugs.

Vostrocity
August 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Actually my poll was asking which one you TRUST more, as in security, privacy, accessibility, etc rather than which one is more practical for you.
:)

Ric_NYC
August 8th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Give me "one" reason to trust my data on a server?

I see no reason. If I have something really important I can save it on a USB key.

oldsoundguy
August 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
As long as there is on line storage using Microsoft based software that allow this to happen:

http://www.switched.com/2009/08/05/hacker-deletes-thousands-of-users-flickr-photos/?icid=main|htmlws-sb|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.switched.com%2F2009% 2F08%2F05%2Fhacker-deletes-thousands-of-users-flickr-photos%2F

I will keep my information/data/photos/music burned to DVD-RW's and stored in the file drawer.

Granted, the guy was dumb as a ditch for using the site as his ONLY storage space, but most Windows only users haven't a clue about security. They believe what they have been told.

chriskin
August 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM
As for losing I backup and I assume in the cloud there are backups. As for privacy I only trust local and even that not 100 %. Biggest problem with the cloud is that I don't trust my internet connection. No internet = no access to files I need working on? No way.

Yeah, it's not that I don't trust Google -- I don't care that they are collecting some information about me -- it's just that I don't trust that my document will get uploaded successfully every time.

i agree with both these posts : the cloud can't be trusted with important matters as in : you can't be sure that the file is there , that it is there without problems, or that you will be able to reach it when you want it

If you're using a reliable provider like Google, security isn't a problem.

i sure hope you are proven right on this. Never forget though that if it is needed, any government can make any company to do what the first one wants - even though it seems to me that none of my files are at risk :P

by the way, what are google's cloud services? other than calendars, docs etc , does google have any service like dropbox?

starcannon
August 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Flash drives make local storage pretty safe and stable; and, I don't have to worry about someone's server crashing leaving me waiting until they are up again in order for me to get access to my data.

Clouds are fine for certain things, but local is still required if one wants 99.99% uptime.

gnomeuser
August 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
depends in regards to what aspect.

Ability not to lose my data - Cloud. I can **** up, I only have one harddrive not a cluster of sexy hardware to make this a superior option. Outside the company going under I don't see any really bad things that couldn't equally well happen to me at home and they will have more redundancy than I will ever be able muster.

Security I think I would be more inclined to trust me, outside of Zonbu who specifically had an option to encrypt everything on their end so that not even they could unlock it without your password (thus also no recovering if you lose it). There need to be more transparency and means of assurance for clouds to really win me over here.

And of course there are practical concerns such as performance and sheer upload burden for moving everything to the cloud, e.g. my 700gigs of data is going to take a while to upload at 1Mbit. But for smaller things such as my contacts, email and im logs I am happy to use the cloud currently.

SuperSonic4
August 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Local storage for me, if I need to transfer data around then I will use external storage. I do not trust these companies with my data - just look at the DoS attacks on facebook and twitter recently and although google coped with it this could change in the future

Vostrocity
August 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
by the way, what are google's cloud services? other than calendars, docs etc , does google have any service like dropbox?
Not exactly, but personally my most important data all fit into Google's existing services. I don't see my multimedia stuff as vital.

Flash drives make local storage pretty safe and stable; and, I don't have to worry about someone's server crashing leaving me waiting until they are up again in order for me to get access to my data.

Clouds are fine for certain things, but local is still required if one wants 99.99% uptime.
I can never hold on to a flash drive longer than a couple weeks. :( And imo cloud storage is usually more reliable. My computer fails every so often, but if my important data is in the cloud I can always access them with my phone or another computer.

Mateo
August 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I trust cloud services more than local storage. Although we all like to think of ourselves as computer experts, the truth is that we're more likely to have computer problems that result in lost data than is a major company. Citing one instance of a person losing images off of Flickr doesn't take into account the millions of people who have lost images (and other data) when their computer crashes. I'm fairly computer savvy, I like to think, but recently I lost a few hundred images when my SD-card became corrupted. The ironic thing is that i still have some of those images; the ones that i had uploaded into Picasa. So as far as trusting, I have much more faith in cloud services.

Skripka
August 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I trust cloud services more than local storage. Although we all like to think of ourselves as computer experts, the truth is that we're more likely to have computer problems that result in lost data than is a major company. Citing one instance of a person losing images off of Flickr doesn't take into account the millions of people who have lost images (and other data) when their computer crashes. I'm fairly computer savvy, I like to think, but recently I lost a few hundred images when my SD-card became corrupted. The ironic thing is that i still have some of those images; the ones that i had uploaded into Picasa. So as far as trusting, I have much more faith in cloud services.

Well. The server company that hosts OSTalk (Formerly nOOST), had a RAID failure. The entire forums and database was nuked. SOL-the backup was fried too. Your faith is misplaced. Your own machine hardware-you know about and can insulate for--cloud, nope.

Mateo
August 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well. The server company that hosts OSTalk (Formerly nOOST), had a RAID failure. The entire forums and database was nuked. SOL-the backup was fried too. Your faith is misplaced. Your own machine hardware-you know about and can insulate for--cloud, nope.

There are far more personal computers that fail than servers which are backed up -- fact.

If it's about personal ownership, you can set up your own cloud.

Skripka
August 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM
There are far more personal computers that fail than servers which are backed up -- fact.

If it's about personal ownership, you can set up your own cloud.

Why bother when we have cheap high capacity thumb flash drives?

Mateo
August 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Why bother when we have cheap high capacity thumb flash drives?

While I'd love to discuss this, it's not the topic of the thread and I don't want to sidetrack things.

aysiu
August 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
It depends what you mean by trust.

Obviously I trust my local storage more in terms of privacy. I'm never going to share my personal locally stored files with advertisers or corporations. And I'm never going to use them for some other corporation's commercial gain (not mine).

I'm pretty good about backing up my stuff usually, but I would definitely trust cloud storage backups over my own. Also, my local storage (even backups) are all in one place. So if someone burgles my apartment or if the whole building burns down, all my backups are for naught. So in that respect, I trust the cloud more.

Frankly, I think some people are overly paranoid and also a bit naive. You don't have as much privacy as you think you do, and most corporations couldn't care less about looking at your music or photo collections.

If people like the idea of cloud storage but are really paranoid about privacy, they should check out SpiderOak.

jcwmoore
August 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
it's not that i don't trust google, I like the cloud but there are just some things i don't want floating out there.