PDA

View Full Version : and what you think?

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Well yesterday 2 of my friends have been "forcing" me to ditch away ubuntu, they say that Fedora is better because is more stable and because it has better stuff, of course when you in a discussion 2 vs 1 (me) is kinda hard to keep up.. Though i really gave them a good shot when replying :), anyway they keep insisting on changing to fedora

i really dont know what to do, I love ubuntu, but some of their point was true, ubuntu packages takes to long, I mean when a new version of gaim or xchat is released they take to long to put it avaible in the repository. I told them ubuntu isn't unstable infact they told me they never used it (I mean exploring the system etc etc), so i told them to try out it. one of my friend did and he said he hate gnome. I was like.. "err you can change GUI you know..", thuogh i dont think he did..

Another of their reason they told me to change which i find really stupid was "but no one use debian" I really but really told them that, that was a stupid reason to dicht it away.

After failing in the "exploit" of making me ditch away they started saying that GNOME was ugly and i should try fedora because it has more GUI options. I told them "So ubuntu does". There goes another failure to them i guess.

After all they leave me in peace lol, I dont find anything in Fedora that any linux distro dont have..

Why I posting this? I dont know I think you guys should opinate If i should switch to fedora or stick with ubuntu and gimme a reason :)
(Of course just a simulation to see what the people have to say about and think about this post, Im really not planning on changing to any linux distro, well gentoo(but that will be in another partition))

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 05:08 AM
The only thing that they brought up that's valid (not just opinion or completely doesn't matter) is the updated packages, and that's just because of stability reasons. If you're using Hoary they hit pretty quickly.

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 05:31 AM
well i heard hoary going to be good
but i want it finished before updating warty :)
saves more time and i dont need to fix any bugs when is complete

so the only problem is the packages i gues =/

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 05:33 AM
well i heard hoary going to be good
but i want it finished before updating warty :)
saves more time and i dont need to fix any bugs when is complete

so the only problem is the packages i gues =/
AND that's only a problem if you look at it as a problem. You KNOW your system is as stable as possible, but with up-to-date upgrades of new apps, who really knows?

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 05:43 AM
i dont know :p
well right now IS stable, and nothing have happened since i installed ubuntu
but when i install a GUI, like i did with XFCE, XFCE isnt running file manager... i dont know why =/

poofyhairguy
January 24th, 2005, 06:22 AM
i dont know :p
well right now IS stable, and nothing have happened since i installed ubuntu
but when i install a GUI, like i did with XFCE, XFCE isnt running file manager... i dont know why =/

You need to add XFCE's file manager separatly. Its called rox.

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 06:38 AM
ah ok. thanks :)

anyway just now another fedora user (one of my friend, that means im going to be fighting 3 peeps) wanted me to switch to fedora >_<! just because i told him i had a little problem in apache lol

poofyhairguy
January 24th, 2005, 06:46 AM
ah ok. thanks :)

anyway just now another fedora user (one of my friend, that means im going to be fighting 3 peeps) wanted me to switch to fedora >_<! just because i told him i had a little problem in apache lol

Man are they insecure about their Fedora use.

Only one stat that mattered to me. After I got every Fedora repo I could find, Synaptic said Fedora could install 6000 packages. Hoary's synaptic tell me I can install 16000 packages.

No wonder they are insecure, theirs is smaller. :)

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 07:07 AM
just now i gave my friend a nice punch by giving him the link of ubuntu with KDE using
http://www.amiroff.com/kde_ubuntu.png *thanks to the user who posted his link*

he got stoned.. and this is what he said

"<removed> omg
<removed> ubuntu with kde looks sexy"

:D hope i can change him from using fedora i think lol

az
January 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM
From what I have seen, Fedora is quite slow on the desktop.

Debian (and so Ubuntu) has always been faster. Ubuntu with Gnome 2.8 is even faster than gnome 2.6 on Debian. So there.

Ubuntu uses apache2. What version does Fedora call stable? 1.3?

Ha!

machiner
January 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
It's funny - that friend that wanted you to use Fedora because Gnome is UGLY --

FC defaults to gnome.

I used FC2 and then FC3 before switching to Ubuntu.

Your friends are rookies. Their statements are filled with rookie tripe and nothing they said makes any sense.

Ubuntu is more stable than FC3. No question. FC3 was fine - when I ran it, but the dependancy problems and lack of applications made me very frustrated - I RAN to Ubuntu and haven't looked back.

Also - someone said - Ubuntu has apache2 - what's FC3 have? Well - Who cares - most of us stick with Apache 1.33 anyway. A distribution having apache2 is nothing to brag about. -- And the comment was wrong anyway - I tried apache2 in both distros ..But I still run 1.3

It's OK for your friends to have a favorite distro - hell - all of us do, ey? However their reasons for you to ditch Ubuntu aren't valid...they aren't even really reasons.

FOr someone serious about their box - and those choosing linux over windows - they will find that they cannot go wrong with Ubuntu.

I'll commit to the foray and say that Ubuntu is a better distribution than FC3. However, I did like some of the utilities that fc3 offered to make life a little simpler - specifically their "server" utility that shows you a nice little gui to control services.

I still support the fc3 distro I put on a friends box, but I can see when I use his box how fleeting the cohesion of the distro is when I upgrade or otherwise enhance his box --synaptic is SH&^ on fc3, and upgrading is a mess. Takes forever, crashes often...YA! That's what I'm looking for in my distro!!

I'll be switching this friend to Ubuntu anytime now - and continue to inistall Ubuntu on every computer I get my hands on (I'm the neighborhood goto guy with respect to computer admin, hardware and all that. -- I tell people I don't support windows anymore and they let me reconfigure a dual boot box for them - direct comparison. 90% of these folks never miss windows.)

So - To sum this post up - your friends are kidding themselves - and if I were you I'd stick to my guns - unless of course you don't really like or appreciate Ubuntu - then, by all means cave to the peer pressure and follow along..

he he you like that wording??

rock on

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
well i think you really got the point of this thread :)
their point are kinda...err not valid

and i do love ubuntu and will stick with it :). of course i dont mind changing GUI which isnt a problem for me :)

anyway i think they will be trying again this night i guess so i show him a screenshot of what can gnome themes do (thanks to the guy who sended me the pic via pm). after all the show in IRC i guess i can change their mind to use ubuntu and update to hoary to see what they think after that. and since they love KDE a lot i guess i should told them to download it via synaptic lol

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get one of those 3 friends to TRY Ubuntu, and really give it an honest try, upgrading software, setting up network shares, etc, etc, and see if he still wants to stay with Fedora. :)

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
One of them said he dont want to because he going to switch to CentOS
and the other doesnt care O_o
they only want me to switch to anything except ubuntu lol

az
January 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
"A distribution having apache2 is nothing to brag about. -- And the comment was wrong anyway - I tried apache2 in both distros ..But I still run 1.3"

Remember the context:

"but some of their point was true, ubuntu packages takes to long, I mean when a new version of gaim or xchat is released they take to long to put it avaible in the repository"

Apache2 is progress. It works. It is Ubuntu's default. 1.3 is also available in Ubuntu.
Fedora defaults to apache 1.3. Fine, it is still more popular than apache2. But you cannot say that the comment was wrong.

macewan
January 24th, 2005, 11:36 PM
of course when you in a discussion 2 vs 1 (me) is kinda hard to keep up..

bet if we get enough votes together we can get him to shave his head and wear a dress

;)

akurashy
January 24th, 2005, 11:49 PM
me or them lol
i wouldnt like to wear a dress with my head shaved <_<
i would look very err disturbing :P

machiner
January 25th, 2005, 12:23 AM
What?!!

Oh - I watched the Pats game last night with the fellas....I'm still a little unsure of my birthday at this point....did I make an incorrect statement?

Ba hahahah

rock on

Gimme a D-Y-N-A-S-T-Y

DYNASTY

Go Patriots!!!!

JeffS
January 25th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Fedora Core seems to be coming along nicely. Fedora Core 1 and 2 were regarded as buggy as heck, and fairly sluggish. Fedora Core 3 seems less buggy, and is very cutting edge. But by all the reviews and forum postings I see, Fedora Core remains somewhat sluggish.

If I were to go with an RPM based distro, I'd go with Mandrake - it's faster, more polished, has more features, it's urpmi works better than fedora's yum or apt-rpm, it's easier, and (subjectively) looks a lot nicer.

However, I've been discovering the tremendous polish, stability, speed (the fastest distro I've used so far, bar none), easy apt-get/Synaptic, huge software repositories (16,000 +), awesome (second to none) Gnome support, and greak look and feel of Ubuntu. It just rocks and delivers long term linux satisfaction. I've used the big RPM distros (Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake - Mandrake being the best of them), and they just don't have that combination of speed, stability, flawless integration, ease of use, and flawless package management that Ubuntu does.

My other favorite distor of the moment, Mepis, is great too. It has better hardware detection (the best in the Linux world) and an easier installer (the easiest in the Linux world). However, the end result is a bit slower and buggier (lot's of apt-get/Kpackage problems). The end result of Ubuntu is extreme polish, speed, stability, and ease of use.

So stick with Ubuntu, you won't regret it.

macewan
January 25th, 2005, 12:54 AM
only Ubuntu is Debian based though

;)

machiner
January 25th, 2005, 01:06 AM
nossir - Mepis is Debian based as well....

I say again..

DYNASTY

az
January 25th, 2005, 01:41 AM
"only Ubuntu is Debian based though"

If you mean that in a bad way, I would wonder why you think so. Debian is superior in terms of package management as well as free software policy.
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
http://www.debian.org/intro/free

as opposed to:
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/trademarks/
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/

Ask them why they used to use Red Hat and now they use Fedora...

Anyhow, any software that is available to other distros is available to Debian or Ubuntu. You just compile it yourself or find a backport. With the exception of closed, proprietary stuff, of course.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
i cant imagine why they still forcing me to try out fedora... i dont think they have readed this whole post i guess :p
but i make them read :p
soon soon :D
ubuntu is great and no one cant say is not.
100% stable
100% friendly
what else you want :)

anyway yesterday around 1:40 am my friend told me that fedora is more secure because they use SELinux and nothing in the world can be more secure than that
i really dont know what is SELinux. so i coudlnt really give a reply nicely =/

lukem
January 25th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Don't be afraid to try fedora (if you've got the time and space). Then you can tell them you have tried it and which you like best. Then tell them to get off your back and go write some software!

I don't know what kind of user community there is for fedora, but it's hard to imagine it could be better than the support you can get with ubuntu. imho

Quest-Master
January 25th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Truly, if they have not yet tried Ubuntu, they should first do that, and THEN talk. ;)

az
January 25th, 2005, 03:04 AM
"Don't be afraid to try fedora "

FSCKing brilliant! You will only learn from the experience. You will have a lot more linux experience under your belt afterwards and an opinion of your own to boot!

I think just about everyone here is confident that we will be seeing you on this forum again, afterwards.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 03:13 AM
i have tried it O_o
i didn like it :o
so its ok with me :D

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
"Don't be afraid to try fedora "

FSCKing brilliant! You will only learn from the experience. You will have a lot more linux experience under your belt afterwards and an opinion of your own to boot!

I think just about everyone here is confident that we will be seeing you on this forum again, afterwards.

I agree. It's great just to try distros. I do it all the time (search, don't ask ;) )

Every time, I walk back with more insight about my own Ubuntu Backports project, and what to offer in the future.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 03:36 AM
well noticing that you are a gentoo addict :p
i wanna try gentoo but is such a fuss to install >.<!

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM
they only want me to switch to anything except ubuntu lol

This is the funniest thing on the forum.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 06:11 AM
i think i got one of my friend to switch to ubuntu :o
but he wants hoary because is the latest update O_o

TravisNewman
January 25th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Rock on! Sowing the seeds :)

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I am using it now....sure is nice....

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 06:32 AM
<removed> lol
<removed> fedora has everything for server ready
<removed> i just cant configure it o_O
-------
he wants to install a webserver
i told him that ubuntu install automatic apache and start it up for him but he still wants fedora because it brings everything O_o

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 06:32 AM
I am using it now....sure is nice....

hey i want to update to hoary
should i get all the updates from warty then update to hoary?

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 06:38 AM
hey i want to update to hoary
should i get all the updates from warty then update to hoary?

You want Hoary? Its a little buggy for me, but the new software is cool.

Just change everything to hoary and dist-upgrade. Don't worry about Warty's bug fixes.

Be sure to uninstall any backports you used if you upgrade. Then have at it!

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 06:40 AM
so i dont have to update anything of warty? ok

Be sure to uninstall any backports you used if you upgrade. Then have at it! < yuo mean all the packages i installed using backports? or the link?

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM
so i dont have to update anything of warty? ok

Be sure to uninstall any backports you used if you upgrade. Then have at it! < yuo mean all the packages i installed using backports? or the link?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12174

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
i got my friend change to ubuntu today :D

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 07:47 PM
i got my friend change to ubuntu today :D

Another convert.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
awww i installed to hoary
my synaptic package icon is gone lol

anyway at least i updated without firefox conflics :o

J. S. Jackson
January 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Well... I find it hard to believe how a person can think Gnome looks ugly in comparison to KDE. I've always thought that KDE needed to get some real artists on-board. I mean even their logo is about the ugliest thing I've ever seen... and the default "LCD" type clock, oh my...

Gnome is much more aesthetically pleasing and looks like it was designed by professional graphic artists.

KDE has more choices to customize the desktop, but none of them are even close to acceptable to me. Take for example the wallpapers, like Windows XP, they go from Ugly to Uglier to Ugliest, take your pick. =;

But as they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and both KDE and Gnome can be themed to the user's liking.

akurashy
January 26th, 2005, 02:30 AM
im going to download KDE this night
to see what so great about it O_o

machiner
January 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I cannot help it...do you ask your friends if your shoes are tied correctly?

Do you require their input when you decide which music is pleasing to your ears?

C'mon - I realize you and your friends are very young -- but don't post here and ask us which direction you should take.

Ubuntu is fantastic - I've used FC2 and FC3 (and a zillion other distros) and they have their merits, but it's time to get a grip - use what you want and tell your insecure friends to pound sand.

Look, I went to high school as well - I understand the intricacies of relationships and acceptance and peer pressure, but this is just rediculous.

USe what you want. Try other distros and yeah, I'll concede that input from others might lead you in a direction that you might not otherwise take - or even know about (hint: that's the big secret of college) but it's your computer - your knowledge, etc. etc. etc.

Please don't post threads like: WHich color should I paint my bathroom? Which is exactly what this post is really about.

Phew -- the older I get the less tolerance I have for insecurities and fear... but then again, I didn't need my friends to validate my decisions in high school either.

Damn - I sound like a DS.

ba hahah ah ahbsad;sIHCIOPHDOIL

Better yet - here's a direct order: Stay the hell away from Ubuntu. You're not ready for the freedom, and neither are your friends.

Did you like that? No - Good. You're on your way.

Love hurts.

JeffS
January 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Well... I find it hard to believe how a person can think Gnome looks ugly in comparison to KDE. I've always thought that KDE needed to get some real artists on-board. I mean even their logo is about the ugliest thing I've ever seen... and the default "LCD" type clock, oh my...

Gnome is much more aesthetically pleasing and looks like it was designed by professional graphic artists.

KDE has more choices to customize the desktop, but none of them are even close to acceptable to me. Take for example the wallpapers, like Windows XP, they go from Ugly to Uglier to Ugliest, take your pick. =;

But as they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and both KDE and Gnome can be themed to the user's liking.

While I don't think KDE is as ugly as you, I do think you have a point here. I find Gnome to be more aesthetically pleasing, professional, well thought out, well integrated, easier, more comfortable, and more productive than KDE.

KDE has it's merits - it's very feature rich and very configurable, and has tons of eye-candy. But it just has so much stuff thrown in, and the stuff is not organized all that well, that it comes off as a big mess and at times counter-intuitive to use, where the user ends up wasting a lot of time clicking on a lot of stuff in order to accomplish something.

There are, however, distros that do a really good job of taming KDE's rougher edges. Mepis, Xandros, and Mandrake all come to mind. These distros bring good menu organization and sane defaults to the KDE fold.

But by comparison, Gnome is just easy and comfortable and aesthetically pleasing "right out of the box", without a distro's smoothing over any "rough edges". Ubuntu is a great example of this. The only thing they changed really was putting the Desktop Settings and System Configuration in the "Computer" button (which was renamed from the default "Actions"). This was a very minor change, and the defaults are just as easy.

BTW - to the original thread starter. Try lot's of distros, and decide for yourself which one you like best or one that best fits your needs. If you do this, I believe you'll probably find that Ubuntu ranks with the best of 'em.

lee_connell
January 27th, 2005, 03:05 AM
You can get 16000 packages but they're not supported, no security updates etc... so that somewhat makes it less useful.

I love the whole debian system and especially ubuntu! I switched from fedora myself, but the one thing that kills me is no support for ALL the packages in universe, multiverse etc....

also isn't it a snapshot of the debian unstable? meaning they don't take a snapshot say like every month of debian unstable so they get somewhat updated? You will always have OLD packages!!!

On that note i looked at debian itself and it even has a lot of old packages in unstable, one for the subject would be synergy.

Lee