PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to complete installation of Firefox 3.5

jcobban
August 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I tried installing Firefox 3.5 using the Package Manager. However after installing it I found that I could not invoke it through the normal icons in the Application Menu or on the task bar at the top of the screen. Investigating I found that both of these invoked "firefox %u". Issuing "which firefox" I found it invoked /usr/bin/firefox. /usr/bin/firefox is a link to /usr/bin/firefox-3.0. It seems to me that the installation of Firefox 3.5 should either have changed this link, or at least added a new icon into the application menu, so I could choose which browser to use. I tried to manually correct the link in /usr/bin/firefox by:

cd /usr/bin
sudo rm firefox
sudo ln firefox-3.5 firefox

but this set /usr/bin/firefox to point directly at ../lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox.sh. Now when I try to invoke the application "firefox" I get "exec: 175: /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox: not found"! I fiddled around and finally got the link to work by issuing:

sudo ln -s firefox-3.5 firefox

This is way too much complexity to expect an ordinary user to deal with.

Partyboi2
August 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hi, the easiest way to launch firefox 3.5 that was installed by Synaptic is to go to Applications>Internet>Shiretoko.

Nemo_bis
September 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
but this set /usr/bin/firefox to point directly at ../lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox.sh. Now when I try to invoke the application "firefox" I get "exec: 175: /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/firefox: not found"! I fiddled around and finally got the link to work by issuing:

sudo ln -s firefox-3.5 firefox
Thank you! I had the same problem after synaptic installed a firefox-3.0 update overriding symbolic links.

This is way too much complexity to expect an ordinary user to deal with.
I suppose that an ordinary user is supposed to use firefox-3.0 until Ubuntu 9.10 is released.