PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Vista after ubuntu

RastaManPower
August 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
hello guys i jsut installed vista and now i cant boot into ubuntu. how can i fix the bootloader? i am new to ubuntu and dualboots. anyone can help me configure grub again?

Mighty_Joe
August 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows)

merlinus
August 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Boot from live cd, open a terminal, and enter these commands one at a time:

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1 #you will get a response such as root (hd0,2)
root (hd0,2) #use the numbers from the previous command
setup (hd0) #use the number from the previous command
quit

Remove the cd and restart.

RastaManPower
August 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
ok guys i will try now and let you know if i got it to work or not. thank you

RastaManPower
August 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
i have tryed what you told me...still nothing..i se grub loading but then it gives like an error that i have no time to read and boots into vista...

merlinus
August 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Post results of

sudo fdisk -l

ajgreeny
August 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
What did you actually use for the command
setup (hd0) because it should normally be exactly that, not the number from the previous command. (hd0) will normally put grub on the windows disk MBR, which is the easiest way to do things. When the machine begins to start grub, try hitting any key which may mean the error message is retained on screen and you can tell us exactly what it said. If that is no help boot to the live CD again and run
sudo fdisk -l to see what your partition layout is like, or use gparted and send a screenshot of that if you prefer, it can sometimes be more helpful. It would also be useful to see your ubuntu install's /boot/grub/menu.lst, so mount the ubuntu partition using the live CD, navigate to the /media/ubuntupartition/boot/grub/menu.lst and copy it here.