PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI Locks Up, Error loading Applet message

Boomn4x4
August 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm a realtivly new Linux user... familar, certainly no pro. I've installed Ubuntu on 2 PC's and have yet to have a problem.... Until now.

I'm installing it on a Compaq Presario SR1030NX 2.16 Ghz AMD Athlon with 512MB PC2700 RAM.

When I try to either run Ubuntu from disk w/o install, or try to install Ubuntu, the GUI loads, they keyboard and mouse lock up, and I get an "Error" message:

The panel encounterd a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOW_IndicatorApplet" Do you wish to delete the applet from your configuration.

The first documentation I've dug up is that I need to delete that applet and rerun it.... BUT upon further research, I've found that the locking keyboard and mouse and are more serious problem...and not related to the error message.

any help would be appreciated....

garikaib
August 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Have you tried using a different cd. It could well be a IO error i.e the disk you are using might be damaged.

Boomn4x4
August 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Have you tried using a different cd. It could well be a IO error i.e the disk you are using might be damaged.

I brought my PC into work... the CD I am using has been used successfully before (though its scratched up pretty good right now). No CD burner here at work to create a new image... I'll give that a whirl over the weekend.

Though, with that being said.... after probably 10 boots, I did get in w/o getting that message and was able to start an install... but I am receiving (as I type this) multiple "Program unexpectdly shutdown" messages.

Would this further indicate a possible defective disk?

Boomn4x4
August 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
As an update, the Install froze.... I executed a reboot and a whole slew of **** I/O errors flashed on the screen before it rebotted.