PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alternate CD ISO Image & X-Window?

krimzen85
August 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Hey All,

I decided to go the route of burning the Alternate CD ISO Image file so that I can run Gnome GUI over Ubuntu Server (Thanks to all who helped). But I need to know one thing, and it will determine if I continue trying or if I stop trying to add a GUI until I can get internet connectivity to the servers.

Does the Alternate CD ISO Image of Gnome come with some sort of Window System in the ISO package? Or does Ubuntu Server have a Window System installed by default?

If the answer is no to both, than I will just wait until I can get the Servers internet access, and sudo apt-get from the internet.

running_rabbit07
August 7th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Sometimes you have to be patient with Server questions being not as many people in the forum work with Ubuntu Server.

jaxxstorm
August 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
There are NO Gui elements in the Ubuntu server CD. You'll need internet access when to enable them.

What are you using the server for? You can use a standard Ubuntu CD and install things like Apache, SSH, Tomcat or any other server element. The only difference between the server CD and the Desktop CD is that the desktop CD has gui elements with it and the server CD has server packages bundled with it. They're the same thing otherwise.

krimzen85
August 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Ah shoot, yeah, I posted the same issue twice, huh? Sorry about that. I've been posting that question on a few websites. I must have doubled on this one by accident.

Heh, sorry about that.