PDA

View Full Version : Skype for Linux...

tyblogger5
August 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone...

I downloaded Skype for Linux and realized it's way behind, I started this thread to see how many people want Skype for Linux to continue being developed so that we can have the same features as Skype for Windows users get. If you want a better Skype for Linux, post here!

Tibuda
August 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM
What do you mean with 'way behind'? Current Linux Skype does everything I want (text chat, voice chat, and group chat).

Marlonsm
August 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I've only noticed Skype for Linux is an older version when I actually checked the version number in both Linux and Windows, because besides that, it does all I need. (And I think the interface in Linux is better and cleaner).

Sure, it'd be nice to have the latest version, but I don't miss it much.

Tibuda
August 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I've only noticed Skype for Linux is an older version when I actually checked the version number in both Linux and Windows, because besides that, it does all I need. (And I think the interface in Linux is better and cleaner).

Sure, it'd be nice to have the latest version, but I don't miss it much.

The version numbers are different, because they are different products. That's all. It does not means older.

keiichidono
August 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM
No, I'm OK without it. Would rather have video/voice in empathy.

Vadi
August 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
My mom uses it quite often to talk with others for long-distance.

Skype works great on Windows too, so people on the other side of the world without computer knowledge didn't have too much of an issue getting it working. So it's a quite fit app.

Simian Man
August 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
LOL actually they are already working on an updated version for Linux. You can get it here (http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-mid), it works much better than the older version for me at least.

I think they started working on it before you posted this thread though :).

clonne4crw
August 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Yeah, a new version would be nice. Thanks, Simian Man!

keiichidono
August 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
LOL actually they are already working on an updated version for Linux. You can get it here (http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-mid), it works much better than the older version for me at least.

Any info on that secret beta?

DownTown22
August 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I would love a new and updated version of skype for Linux. I use it on windows all the time at work and when chatting with people when I'm home, etc I'm pretty much on Ubuntu 75% of the time.

The current version of skype we have feels so very, very dated.

There's just so many more options and 'things' in the windows version....and I miss them when I'm on Ubuntu.

nbotticelli
August 7th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I use skype mostly on linux, but I must say it is rather dated feeling too though. I also don't want what happened to the newest Windows versions to happen to the linux version either though.

I've found that in the last year or so the Windows version has become to confusing as to be almost unuseable. They have moved everything around so much that nothing makes sense anymore.

DownTown22
August 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I use skype mostly on linux, but I must say it is rather dated feeling too though. I also don't want what happened to the newest Windows versions to happen to the linux version either though.

I've found that in the last year or so the Windows version has become to confusing as to be almost unuseable. They have moved everything around so much that nothing makes sense anymore.

I've heard this complaint a lot. Can you please elaborate on what it is about the new Windows version that you don't like....I'm just curious.

winjeel
August 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
There's skype for Linux? You mean I don't have to go over to the dark side every time I want to... hold on... It's not in the Synaptic Manager. Hmm.

Sealbhach
August 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
There's skype for Linux? You mean I don't have to go over to the dark side every time I want to... hold on... It's not in the Synaptic Manager. Hmm.

Download it from the website:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

There's a .deb installer, and it works fine in 9.04. Skype is one of the most useful (and moneysaving) apps I have on my computer. There's some legal trouble brewing and there's talk of Skype being closed down, I really hope not!

winjeel
August 7th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Download it from the website:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

There's a .deb installer, and it works fine in 9.04. Skype is one of the most useful (and moneysaving) apps I have on my computer. There's some legal trouble brewing and there's talk of Skype being closed down, I really hope not!

Really? Where did you hear this? I hope it doesn't, either. I started out in the hey-day of ICQ, when it was good, then it got too complicated. Then I fell back to MSN Messenger, Yahoo, AIM, and found Skype to work really nicely. Would be a shame to lose another good app'.

Sealbhach
August 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
There's been some news reports recently:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/aug/01/ebay-case-threatens-skype-shutdown

khelben1979
August 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
The Linux version of Skype works better than the Windows version from my experience.

On Windows I constantly have to switch between using the older version of Skype and the newer version because of bugs.

The Thug
August 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I downloaded the beta release from the link given earlier in the thread and after chatting for half an hour with mates, I decided that I'd rather have the "old" version back. So binned the beta release and back to vers 2.0.0.72

Tibuda
August 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
People are saying they "feel" that Linux Skype is poor, but they never list what they are missing. Remember: "Perfection is reached not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove" (Antoine de Saint Exupéry).

tyblogger5
August 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Problems I have had with Skype for Linux was that I couldn't get the audio to work, the interface is (as said before) dated and it's hard to navigate. Plus, I want some of the features like full-screen video calls, and a nicer interface. By the way, thanks for the big reply :)

Slug71
August 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
If Skype just had better PA support id be a lot happier. Other than it its pretty good.

Stoneface
August 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Skype on Ubuntu on my box just does not work. What I mean is that sound out is not working. Been at it for weeks and started a thread on it on the Ubuntu forum. Now I just use Skype on Windows and use Skype or Pidgin for messaging on Ubuntu. Skype itself is under developed - they promised a new version over a year ago - and does not play nice with my current audio package/setup on Ubuntu. I hope Skype will come out with a version that will work properly on Ubuntu with Pulse audio soon

Tibuda
August 8th, 2009, 02:41 PM
If Skype just had better PA support id be a lot happier. Other than it its pretty good.

+1. Skype is the only app I use that is not PA-friendly. The last blog entry (http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/07/skype_for_linux_an_update.html) about Linux Skype says something about PA support.

khelben1979
August 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Skype on Ubuntu on my box just does not work. What I mean is that sound out is not working. Been at it for weeks and started a thread on it on the Ubuntu forum. Now I just use Skype on Windows and use Skype or Pidgin for messaging on Ubuntu. Skype itself is under developed - they promised a new version over a year ago - and does not play nice with my current audio package/setup on Ubuntu. I hope Skype will come out with a version that will work properly on Ubuntu with Pulse audio soon

Have you tried Skype static (http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static)?

Stoneface
August 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM
No Khelben1979.Not yet. Will have a look at it as soon as I have resolved some other Ubuntu issues on my Acer Aspire. Does it play better with PA than the regular version?

hanzomon4
August 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Whoa skypemid looks pretty cool... kinda like the windows version. Download it hear http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-mid

Just untar and click on the binary

khelben1979
August 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Whoa skypemid looks pretty cool... kinda like the windows version. Download it hear http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-mid

Just untar and click on the binary

Is that a beta version?

hanzomon4
August 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah I guess.. maybe it's the 3.0 linux beta

doorknob60
August 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
What's wrong with the Linux Skype? I like it better than the Windows one, the Windows one's interface is more cluttered and confusing. The Linux one is simple, clean, and intuitive.

Arup
August 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I just made one half hour video/audio call to Japan and one 3 hour similar call to Germany on my Jaunty x64, not even once I had any issues, tried the same with Yahoo latest on Vista x64 laptop, Yahoo crashed on me every few minutes. Skype works like a magic on Jaunty x64 even though its an older version. After all the point of a good IM is reliable audio video and Skype in Linux does it with excellent video and audio quality, on my dual quad cores, none of the 8 cores went over 8%.

Bear in mind my sound quality could be attributed to the fact that I use OSS4 but I have had good results in ALSA as well.

rafaelmr2
August 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have just one problem with Skype in Ubuntu, when I add a new contact, he don't receive my request, and I have to say him to add me too.

Slug71
August 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
What's wrong with the Linux Skype? I like it better than the Windows one, the Windows one's interface is more cluttered and confusing. The Linux one is simple, clean, and intuitive.

PA support.

Slug71
August 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah I guess.. maybe it's the 3.0 linux beta

It indeed looks like it just might be. :)

Nope, i guess its actually for MID devices but works with Linux so i maybe a joint app.

Excedio
August 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Are you currently using this? How did you install it properly?

coldReactive
August 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm fine without skype at the moment. Have no friends who use it.

rafaelmr2
August 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Are you currently using this? How did you install it properly?

Just download, unzip and run the file "skype".

tyblogger5
August 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I say that skypemid works very nicely, for right now I'm going to be using that. Thanks for the advice and the response!

Excedio
August 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Just download, unzip and run the file "skype".

Thanks for the tip, it worked. As for the program itself, somethings that may need some work. It doesn't mesh with my theme the way Skype 2 does.

But...it's beta. So I look forward to seeing the end result. I wish they would allow me to select the video codec I want.

arachnic
October 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hey !
I just installed skype into Jaunty, and as I used to use it a lot in Windows, I must say, the interface feels very very dated.
Plus I dont like having 3 different windows floating around (main app, call window, webcam) The windows version, i agree, has gotten really twisty lately, but I like that everything is within one frame.

But the part i miss most is the easy capturing from the webcam feed. There is nothin like that in the Linux version.

cheers !