PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MS Word won't open files with spaces in their name

roystreet
August 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hello, I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem...I have successfully installed & have been using MS Word 2007. I have just found problem that really stands out. If I'm looking through some location (Say in my home directory) and I see a word file & I decide I would like to open it. I click on it...It loads words...Then It breaks apart the name as separate files. For example: johnny goes to the store.doc Word will say johnny.doc could not be found, goes.doc could not be found, to.doc could not be found, etc.

If I open word & select open, then navigate to that document it then opens the file just fine with no issue. So through word I can ope it, but no other way. I have tested it with names that do not have spaces & it worked just fine, so it (at least) has something to do with spaces.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
~roystreet

rednano12
August 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The obvious thing to do would be to rename your documents so they don't have spaces.

Then, I would suggest moving this to a different location, such as Wine.

roystreet
August 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know why moving it to wine will help? Are you talking about moving it to the wine directory? I haven't fully decided that I will remove spaces out of the names of all my files. Nor will I place underscores or hyphens there either. I will just open it with word instead of the other way, I can live with that.

I just didn't know if there was any type of remedy instead of renaming.

Thanks!

Hobgoblin
August 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think rednano12 means move your thread on the forum to the wine section.

roystreet
August 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification...

How do I move the thread over - I've never done that before - or do I create a new thread there.

~roystreet

Gogolization
September 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have the same problem with Word documents (oddly enough PowerPoint slides or Excel documents don't have this problem), and find it incredibly annoying since so many Word documents do include spaces. Is there any solution for this?

snakeman21
September 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Why not just use openoffice? Completely compatible, easy to use, more stable, more versatile... what more could you want? My wife goes to an "all microsoft" college, but she uses Ubuntu and writes her papers in OpenOffice. She saves them as Word documents and emails them, and her professors open them with MS Word. Perfectly compatible.

Forgive me if I seem like a jerk, but it seems to me that using Microsoft Office on Ubuntu is creating an unnecessary hassle for you.

AlphaLexman
September 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I know the original post is quite old, but I seem to remember MS Win ME running MS Word had the same problem. Back then MS was just adjusting to long filenames compared to the eight.3 format. If the file has been renamed and the shortfilename didn't make the link/connection it would think each space was a different file.

I know this isn't a solution, but someplace to look into.

roystreet
November 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Why not just use openoffice? Completely compatible, easy to use, more stable, more versatile... what more could you want? My wife goes to an "all microsoft" college, but she uses Ubuntu and writes her papers in OpenOffice. She saves them as Word documents and emails them, and her professors open them with MS Word. Perfectly compatible.

Forgive me if I seem like a jerk, but it seems to me that using Microsoft Office on Ubuntu is creating an unnecessary hassle for you.

Hi snakeman21:
...I currently prefer office 2007 over OpenOffice. I appreciate OO & am willing to consider future builds of it. I have tried to fully migrate over to it (More than once). I don't find it as user friendly. Yes, I do like the ribbon :D much better than the old toolbar. Of course that is just one feature I like better. Even it's ability to use VBA is wonderful.
...Also, if I make docs in word & then open them in OO I often find formatting has changed. It doesn't cleanly open all of my word documents. Also, OO currently doesn't have a database that is nearly as powerful as access.
...I honestly believe OO will get there one day. I can envision myself using it as my default office application one day, but today isn't the day.

Thanks,
~roystreet

snakeman21
November 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Eh, to each their own. It's all about what you're comfortable with!

erikacoustik
November 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
....bump?

i have the exact same problem as roystreet

roystreet
December 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hi,
...I'm guessing there is no solution to this? I'm not incredibly smart in this area, but it seems there would be some type of fix? I'll do some more research - If anyone has some suggestions that would be great!
Thanks,
...roystreet

m-a-r-k-y
January 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Bump. I am having the same problem as roystreet too.

Mazin
January 31st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Hi all,

I can try to take a stab at this problem. Does this spaces problem happen when you are opening a file from inside Nautilus (the default Ubuntu file manager) AND when you use Word's built-in file browser (File->Open)?

m-a-r-k-y
February 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi all,

I can try to take a stab at this problem. Does this spaces problem happen when you are opening a file from inside Nautilus (the default Ubuntu file manager) AND when you use Word's built-in file browser (File->Open)?

Hi Mazin. The spaces problem happens with right click, and "open with >" Microsoft Office Word. I am running Kubuntu 9.10, and the problem happens with all file managers I have tried (Nautilus and Dolphin and Konqueror). When I use Word's built-in file browser there is no problem, and I can open a file with spaces or without.

Mazin
February 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
The problem is that whatever is launching Word isn't properly wrapping the file name in quotes, so "My Document.docx" is treated as "My" "Document.docx", but working around the problem isn't too hard.

Try these instructions that were suggested on Wine's AppDB and reproduced below. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12811

1. Make a script with the following text

#!/bin/bash
wine "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe" "`winepath -w "$@"`"
and save it as "word_launch.sh". Put it somewhere safe, like your home directory.
2. Make the script executable (right-click on the script, Properties, Permissions).
3. Right-click on a Word document, choose Open With and choose Other Application...
4. Hit the browse button and find the script you just made:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=145788&stc=1&d=1265165415

You will have to make a new script for each different program (Word, Excel, etc.) and repeat steps 3 and 4 for each different file type (.doc, .docx).

In the future, WineHQ's AppDB is always a helpful source of tips and fixes for running Windows programs.

m-a-r-k-y
February 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thank-you Mazin for your help. This solution works well. I no longer have problems opening files with spaces in their names :)

teo_rossi
April 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
I receive a wine error: the file .../winword.exe does not exist