PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] A minor annoyance

MonkeyPlus
August 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
(This may be a KDE issue too, I wouldn't know as I don't use KDE)

Its very easy, with a simple miss-click, to bookmark a random folder so it appears in the Places menu. However, removing it from that menu is harder. It is not immediately obvious to me that you would have to open a file browser window to do it. My first thought was to go into System->Preferences->Main Menu, but irritatingly the Places menu doesn't appear there at all.

There isn't any excuse for this. Its this kind of minor but very annoying user interface crap that turns ordinary users (such as my wife) off Linux. Simple operations should be simple and obvious to perform, to everyone, and if that means there is more than one way to go about it, so be it.

mcduck
August 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
How is that not logical? You create the bookmark in file manager, you remove the bookmark in file manager..

Just like when you create bookmark in Firefox and then remove it in Firefox.

edit: Also I can't really figure out what kind of simple miss-click might bookmark anything. I mean it doesn't happen with left-click, it doesn't happen with middle-click, and it's not an option in the right-click menu either..

MonkeyPlus
August 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
It isn't logical because whilst the bookmarks are reproduced in the main menu, the facility to edit them is not.

As for what happened in the first place, I think it was a dragging and dropping accident. I was shifting some music files around and it happened very quickly (as in I couldn't quite see what I had done). I will try and figure out what happened.