PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot use Live CD 9.04

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi all - first post!

Sorry if this has been asked...

Downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu 9.04 CD, I load up with it and get the boot options. I then select "Try without changing PC" option. It then loads up and prompts me for a user name and password but I have not been asked to create one? Tried various combinations but no joy, is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to burn another CD?

Thanks in advance
Kyle

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Try user :user
password :ubuntu

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hi

Tried - still saying incorrect Username/Password :(

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
..and enter nothing,just hit "enter" you tried?

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Tried everything I can think including blank/blank etc. Should I not be seeing this screen if using Live CD environment?

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
...no you should not.Maybe your xserver does not run.I am just here on LiveCd,it logs directly in.If I log out and in,the username is:ubuntu
no password,just hit enter.
You can try to hit alt+ctrl+F2 to open up a console,where you can try to log in.
If it works,try : "startx"

Cheesemill
August 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
It shouldn't be asking you for a username and password, if it is then it's an indication of a bad CD. Check the MD5SUM of your .iso file and try burning again at a lower speed. Also run the CD check from the boot screen after you have a new CD.

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Can't get into console realzippy.

Cheesemill - how do I check the MD5SUM? and what should it be?

Thanks both for your help on this one.

harry2006
August 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
as far as i remember the livecd version of ubuntu never asks for any username and password. Are you using any tailor-made version of ubuntu 9.04 liveCD?
just pressing the enter key dint work either?
on a side note, if you downloaded the iso image from ubuntu/mirror servers did you bother to match the checksum, say md5sum for the same?

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Harry - I just downloaded the desktop version from the main site, couldn't see anything about checksum?

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
When you can select "Try without changing PC",you can also select something like "checkintegrity" or "CheckMD5SUM"

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
It is called:

Check Disc for Defects

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks realzippy, will give that a go - think I will reburn another disk at slower speed as well.

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Do so.But when the CD runs up to login and not further,it could be a problem with your gnome or xserver.Do not think the CD is broken...

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Just done a check and 1 defect is reported... Should say that the versions optimised for my EEE work fine, just wanted to try the "full" thing on my desktop...

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Good.
The "Full Thing" looks a bit different than Easy Peasy...
Have fun & feel free to ask concerning the full thing. :D

Cheesemill
August 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Do so.But when the CD runs up to login and not further,it could be a problem with your gnome or xserver.Do not think the CD is broken...

The only time I've ever seen this problem is with a bad CD (about 5 times now).

For the OP:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks all again, much appreciated - is there anything I need to be aware of when burning the next disk, short of slowing it right down?

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
...dirty laser lenses can behave like broken hardware.So,if the
misburning goes on ..:D

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
:) Will report back shortly!

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The only time I've ever seen this problem is with a bad CD (about 5 times now).

For the OP:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

No its 6 times,you are right.
I once got kicked out of gnome always immediately what was nearly the same
as not to be able to log in...

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Am now posting from my Ubuntu system! Was going to attempt to get my wireless connection going but think I have had enough excitement for one day!

Edit - I take it back - straight on the system!

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
First step:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/SolvingWireless

KyleRickards
August 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks realzippy, oddly went straight on! I am as surprised as anyone! Much much nicer than Windows (or is that swearing here?!) :D