PDA

View Full Version : Which version of windows do you use?

konqui
August 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
What version of windows do you use and will you use windows 7 when its out?

Sealbhach
August 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
XP in Virtualbox if there's something I want to experiment with.

No.

wojox
August 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
X-Windows. That count?

jjgomera
August 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
none

sydbat
August 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
What version of windows do you use and will you use windows 7 when its out?Don't use Windows and have no reason to spend any money on future Windows releases.

DiscoKiller
August 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
i just spent the last few days trying to get rid of windows. I hope it never returns to my computer! Windows 7? not a chance.

jamest09
August 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
None and no I will not be using or even trying in any form, Windows 7

ssaint04
August 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
All my machines dual-boot.

I run a netbook with WinXP SP3/UNR 9.04, a laptop with WinVista Home Basic SP2/Ubuntu 9.04, and a desktop with WinVista Home Premium SP2/Win7 Home Premium RC/Ubuntu 9.04

I won't shell out the money for Win7 to upgrade. It's very much like Vista with SP2, and a few more features. When I start buying new hardware, I'll have Win7.

Pathfinder_
August 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Server 2008

Swagman
August 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
The Mk2 Double Glazed version.

Screwdriver0815
August 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
No Windows and there will never be any Windows on any of my computers.

Even if Windows 7 is soooo great and a "must have" - I hate it while I don't know it. Just because of the fact that people keep on telling everybody how superb Windows 7 is... :evil:

BrokenKingpin
August 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
XP on one of my machines at home (for Windows development) and Vista at work. I would like to use Windows 7 when it comes out, but I will wait until a buy a new machine that comes with it installed (no way I am going to pay for it in full).

.Maleficus.
August 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
XP on one of my machines at home (for Windows development) and Vista at work. I would like to use Windows 7 when it comes out, but I will wait until a buy a new machine that comes with it installed (no way I am going to pay for it in full).
At least at Best Buy, computers with Vista Home Premium+ that were purchased after June 26th get free upgrades to the comparable Windows 7 release (through the manufacturer). All you have to do is register the sale on the manufacturer's website.

To the OP: I use Windows 7 RC 64-bit and yes, I will get the RTM when it comes out.

MasterNetra
August 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
At least at Best Buy, computers with Vista Home Premium+ that were purchased after June 26th get free upgrades to the comparable Windows 7 release (through the manufacturer). All you have to do is register the sale on the manufacturer's website.

To the OP: I use Windows 7 RC 64-bit and yes, I will get the RTM when it comes out.

The RTM is already out on the Piratebay :P I don't really get anything from there but I do like to browse. ^.^

wingnux
August 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
No Windows on my pc. EVER!

TombKing
August 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Vista that came on my personal laptop which dual boots with Jaunty, and XP on the work machine. And mostly w2k3 with the odd w2k box that I try to keep up and running for work.

If I can twist the arm of one of my contacts at the borg hq I will probably get a win 7 on the cheap from the company store to replace vista but I am in no hurry about that.

harry2006
August 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Winbows things always sucks and not meant for use prod!
I use it for testing in virtualbox, though.

accLinux
August 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I mostly use Linux, however I did try the windows 7 RC. It wasn't all that bad. The only reason I would ever buy Windows would be to play games or do dev work.

Nburnes
August 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM

RTM was released a while ago?

MellonCollie
August 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
7RC currently, with the final version on order.

shihkster1015
August 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I also dualboot, but i think there is something wrong with ubuntu recently.
For example, i get lots of problems when i add third party sources. No pub_key or server is unreachable

Then if i install the pub_key, the download becomes really slow. It dropped from 1000kb/s to 49.7kb/s

Cheesemill
August 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Server 2000, Server 2003, Server 2008 - All on a daily basis.
I work as a network admin :)

At home I only have Linux on my machines (Ubuntu, Arch and #!), I just VPN into work if I need to access a Windows box.

.Maleficus.
August 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
RTM was released a while ago?
I know the RTM build is out, I meant I'm not going to upgrade my RC until 7 comes out in retailers.

harvey186
August 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have WindowsXP64, VISTA64 and Windows7 64 on my system and ..... Ubuntu 9.1 :)

chriskin
August 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
XP in Virtualbox if there's something I want to experiment with.

No.

same here , but i use xp in virtualbox for font-creating applications

chriskin
August 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I have WindowsXP64, VISTA64 and Windows7 64 on my system and ..... Ubuntu 9.1 :)

it's ubuntu 9.10 or else it would have already been out by last january :) (or you might mean 9.04?)

ukripper
August 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
XP and RHEL at work. GNU/Linux at home

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
..its the directx need for gaming...
only reason why owner of vista too.
Hate booting it...when those popups appear and bill tells me my machine is not secured cause not running security center and this stuff..not recognizing that it runs offline and so on...no,I am not lucky
to be forced to use it sometimes.

Stan_1936
August 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
@OP, you should have put up a poll.

What version of windows do you use....

Windows XP

.....will you use windows 7 when its out?

No. Windows 7 can go to he*l!!!

MellonCollie
August 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hate booting it...when those popups appear and bill tells me my machine is not secured cause not running security center and this stuff..

Turn the security centre warnings off if they bother you that much. Open security centre and look for the “Change the way security centre alerts me” option.

sydbat
August 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
no,I am not lucky
to be forced to use it sometimes.If you feel "forced" to use anything, that should tell you something...

Benzaa
August 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Dual boot with a striped down version of windows XP

My beloved intel card is not reconized in Ubuntu, so, I dont have a working mic in linux.

I need my skype to call home

Stan_1936
August 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Dual boot with a stripped down version of windows XP...

Got a link?

If not, what do you mean by stripped down?

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
If you feel "forced" to use anything, that should tell you something...

:D,yes... if I want new games in highend quality..I not
only feel,I am forced to use windows.

HappyFeet
August 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I would like to use Windows 7 when it comes out, but I will wait until a buy a new machine that comes with it installed (no way I am going to pay for it in full).

HappyFeet
August 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
only feel,I am forced to use windows.

You are "forced" to eat, drink, and sleep. All other things in life are choices.

sydbat
August 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
only feel,I am forced to use windows.Have you considered a game system?

Benzaa
August 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Got a link?

If not, what do you mean by stripped down?

What I meant is that my Xp does not have anything fancy. No anti-virus, no updates, no office, no firewall, no games, no service pack, nothing,

just skype and firefox, that is all

HappyFeet
August 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Have you considered a game system?

khelben1979
August 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Windows XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp) when I'm using it. No Windows what so ever since the Powerbook crashed.

Windows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7)? No. I have no hardware for it.

HappyFeet
August 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Windows XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp) when I'm using it. No Windows what so ever since the Powerbook crashed.

Windows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7)? No. I have no hardware for it.

Thanks for the links to XP and Win7. Without those links, people would be in the dark as to what those things are. People like you are an invaluable resource on the forums. I mean really, who has time to research little known things like XP? I know I don't have the time to go to google and type in "XP". Thank you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_you) once again.

sydbat
August 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
No, because his/her quality of life would be diminished by doing that. We all know that gaming is the be all, end all of life. Why study, learn, and do something constructive with your life when you can spend countless hours gaming? Gaming makes you a more complete, better person.

:lolflag:

gn2
August 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I use W2kProSP4 on my music jukebox, my main machines are Ubuntu, I will never buy another Windows licence.

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
No, because his/her quality of life would be diminished by doing that. We all know that gaming is the be all, end all of life. Why study, learn, and do something constructive with your life when you can spend countless hours gaming? Gaming makes you a more complete, better person.

To pwn someone in a game, is to pwn life itself.

yep,have a look:

http://www.economist.com/sciencetechnology/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13726738

:)

HappyFeet
August 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
yep,have a look:

http://www.economist.com/sciencetechnology/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13726738

:)

If I looked hard enough, I can find "research" to support anything. Run along now and make yourself a better person by disappearing to your parents basement playing WOW for the next 12 hours.

realzippy
August 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
If I looked hard enough, I can find "research" to support anything. Run along now and make yourself a better person by disappearing to your parents basement playing WOW for the next 12 hours.

:popcorn:

bump!

SuperSonic4
August 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I don't use windows :D

And I shan't be using 7 either

Bölvağur
August 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I use MS-DOS (win 3.2) and sometimes XP also.

I doubt I will be using 7, just like with Vista I havent come in touch with it, only seen it advertised o.0

Tipped OuT
August 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Windows XP. I would use Windows 7, but I don't have the hardware.

khelben1979
August 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the links to XP and Win7. Without those links, people would be in the dark as to what those things are. People like you are an invaluable resource on the forums. I mean really, who has time to research little known things like XP? I know I don't have the time to go to google and type in "XP". Thank you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_you) once again.

Thank you for your compliment. It warms. Now, where is the tea? :-k

j.bell730
August 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
No Windows installed on my machine. I will not buy, or even try Windows 7.

NightHawk877
August 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my computer. I have had it crash on me only once since I have used it when it was released. It runs very well on a computer with an AMD Athlon XP 3200 and 1 gig of RAM. Once Windows 7 hits stores and I give my computer a major overhaul, I'll run it.

hellion0
August 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed in a dual-boot on my desktop, and XP Pro SP2 in a dual-boot on one of my laptops.

I don't intend to upgrade to Win7 for a few reasons.

* Older hardware - I want to get the most out of it.
* Poor - Can't afford Windows licenses.
* Compatibility - The few programs I go to Windows for, I can run on XP.
* MSFT's reputation - Vista. After that debacle, I'm not taking everything Microsoft says with a grain of salt... I need the whole shaker.

lisati
August 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Laptop: Vista Home premium/Ubuntu Jaunty
Desktop: XP/Ubuntu Studio 9.04
Old Desktop: Usually Windows 98SE (currently Red Hat 7.3)

dragos240
August 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have the nonexistant version of windows. I don't use windows. Not even dual booting.

hellmet
August 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Well my windows ain't got no version numbers. They are just made of wood and were recently repainted if that helps with the version #.

Ohh.. you meant Windows to world of 'premium' operating systems? I'm sorry I cannot afford all the 'premium' the world has to offer.

realzippy
August 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
12 hour later,better person now,have to say that all your posts in this thread are:

1. Absolutely offtopic
2. Offending
3. Illiberal
4. Waste of time
5. Shame for Ubuntu

Your childish avatar,especially in this thread,could be seen as kind of facism..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Kingsley
August 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I just downloaded Windows 7. It'll be my Windows version of choice if the install goes smoothly later today.

madnessjack
August 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I've never had a problem with Vista. Windows 7 looks alrite but I've got no need to switch to it at all. I VM XP for browser testing but that's about it. If I was into gaming I'd get Windows 7, but I'm not, so it's Ubuntu all the way :-)

JillSwift
August 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I have Windows XP on my laptop, dual booting alongside Ubuntu, strictly for the purpose of having an OS that my ISP will "support" for those few times I've had to call in about trouble.

I've no interest in Windows 7.

oxf
August 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I still have XP as a dual boot but dont use it much. That got installed when we purchassed a new PC which came with Vista. Absolutely hated Vista which is why we put XP on it which in turn lead to trying Linux and the rest is history. I dought I'll ever buy a MS product again.

barnex
August 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
none

red_Marvin
August 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The only version of windows I have installed right now is 95.
I have a backup of my old XP partition though...

HappinessNow
August 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Xp

shihkster1015
August 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
XP
It's the fastest out of them all

Giant Speck
August 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
XP at work

Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 RC1 at home

shihkster1015
August 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
XP, vista, windows 7
which one do you like more?

Giant Speck
August 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
XP, vista, windows 7
which one do you like more?

Vista and 7, to be completely honest.

shihkster1015
August 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM
really?
I always found Vista to be slow.
and i also like windows 7 :) but it's backward compatibility isn't that good
I dont really get why did M$ release windows 7. It's like they're ditching Vista

Giant Speck
August 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I dont really get why did M$ release windows 7. It's like they're ditching Vista

They're releasing Windows 7 because Windows Vista is already four years old. Microsoft is trying to get back to a normal release schedule. They screwed up their previous "one release every three years" when they released XP.

If they were ditching Vista, they would have released Windows 7 a lot sooner. The only version they have ever ditched was Windows ME.

Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to have been. The only reason they released Vista when they did was because people were complaining about how long it was taking Microsoft to build a new operating system, so they forked the Blackcomb project to at least get something on the shelves.

madnessjack
August 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
If they were ditching Vista, they would have released Windows 7 a lot sooner. The only version they have ever ditched was Windows ME.
I loved Windows ME but I haven't heard a good thing about it. I remember it was fast and secure and easy to navigate. Secure because I didn't have an Internet connection :D

RiceMonster
August 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Vista and XP

joe2012
August 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I use windows xp on virtual box...not by choice..only cause I can't sync my ipod touch any other way unless I jailbreak it

Tibuda
August 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have used in my home computer: 3.1, 95, 98 and XP.
I have used in someone else computer: Me and Vista.

epsolon77
August 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I have a liscence of Vista and XP each for myself and my wife. While I use and prefer Ubuntu, my work, and my wife require that Windows be made available at home. At some point I will probably own a copy of Windows 7, if for no other reason than I am required to support it, but not by choice!

juancarlospaco
August 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Im using Gnome 2.27.5

tom66
August 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have Vista on the other side (dual booting) but I rarely use it. It's just there in case I need it for something.

Kingsley
August 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I just finished installing Windows 7 RTM on my HP laptop. It's the snappiness of XP and eye candy of Vista rolled with into one awesome OS with cooler features. Of course I'm not switching back to Windows since I've been using Linux for so long, but I won't mind occasionally logging in to Win7 to get some special work done. Microsoft outdid themselves on this one.

vanalexan
August 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I use Windows 7 RC and will update to it when out. It is a dual boot with Jaunty except I can't get grub to boot windows. That might be a new thread elsewhere. At least I can boot Jaunty.

Post Monkeh
August 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
xp on the work lappy and dual boot on my desktop with ubuntu , though ubuntu doesn't really get used on that because it doesn't like my wireless adapter and i haven't motivated myself to fix it yet. that, and i still use my desktop when i'm playing a game.
my own laptop is now pure ubuntu.

Jimleko211
August 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm using Windows 7, it's great.

shihkster1015
August 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I have to say.
Ubuntu's good for like office work and programing, but it's GUI's kinda slow.
Windows XP is good for games cuz most games are optimized for it, and some programs (like Adobe premiere pro) is designed for windows xp.
That's why i'm force to stick to windows
I would go ahead and use ubuntu if i could

danbuter
August 8th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Vista 64. I like it. MS has really stabilized and improved Vista over the last year. I will skip 7, unless I have to buy a new computer with it pre-loaded.

shihkster1015
August 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
But the hard drive usage is extremely high for the Vista Operating System compared to others

danbuter
August 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I have a top-of-the-line gaming system. Vista doesn't even dent it.