PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Copy and Paste fast

apoc
January 24th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Taken from page 21 ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/library/l-faq.pdf

Often when you follow howto you have to copy and paste alot of text into your command promt, and for some reason CTRL+V wont paste into the promt, but right click and select paste works, however page 21 of the above mentioned pdf file mentions an even faster way then the typical CTRL+C -> CTRL+V that even works.

You highlight the text you wish to copy, and press the middle mouse butten (useally the weel) then paste it into the promt or other document with another click on the middle mouse button.

I hope it helps someone :D

piedamaro
January 24th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Yep, it's the X clipboard :)

pseudonym
January 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM
On my machine all I have to do is highlight the text, and this alone seems to perform the copy operation. Then I paste it with one click of the 'Thumb Button' (on a LOgitech Mouseman Wheel, which I used as a double-click button in windows). I would never have guessed! :)

wallijonn
February 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
That's good Trick / tip.

JmSchanck
February 22nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
On my machine all I have to do is highlight the text, and this alone seems to perform the copy operation. Then I paste it with one click of the 'Thumb Button' (on a LOgitech Mouseman Wheel, which I used as a double-click button in windows). I would never have guessed! :)

Yeah i noticed this too with my logitech MX 310, the "Thumb button" is just another button 3 and the "Pinky button" on the opposite side acts as another right click. By the way if anyone can tell me a way to reprogram these it would be great.

And about pasting into the prompt CTRL+SHIFT+V works as well.

DownloadTHIS
March 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
Yeah i noticed this too with my logitech MX 310, the "Thumb button" is just another button 3 and the "Pinky button" on the opposite side acts as another right click. By the way if anyone can tell me a way to reprogram these it would be great.

And about pasting into the prompt CTRL+SHIFT+V works as well.

I had the same problem with my mouse.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Find the line that says: Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True
Replace that line with: Option "Buttons" "7"

ixus_123
March 4th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Wow - I didn't know that. Thanks :)

It will save me a few keystrokes

hesjnet
January 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks alot for this! You wouldn't belive the time savings this trick does for me:D Thanks!

reptile83
September 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
For those who still care about this document it can be found here: http://adsl.cutw.net/l-faq.pdf

v1ad
September 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM
can't access document ..

v1ad
September 16th, 2010, 04:42 AM
tx great document.

utnubuuser
September 16th, 2010, 05:07 AM
For those who don't know yet, there is also a great app/extension called klipper (kde), and/or glipper (gnome) that extends the clipboard functionality to include "actions" and multiple "saved" clippings. - Awesome app.

http://sazeit.com/articles/klipper-in-ubuntu-gnome

codecentral
August 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
If you can spare some mouse buttons, give this a try too:

http://thecodecentral.com/2012/07/27/use-mouse-buttons-to-perform-copy-paste-in-ubuntu