PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install jaunty without losing settings

corkscrew
August 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I have hardy heron installed on a laptop with 3 separate partitions well 4 including swap. root, home, data and swap.

If i do a clean install with jaunty is there any way of keeping all my settings for desktop and programs etc?

megamania
August 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have hardy heron installed on a laptop with 3 separate partitions well 4 including swap. root, home, data and swap.

If i do a clean install with jaunty is there any way of keeping all my settings for desktop and programs etc?
Yes, when you reach the partitioning stage,
- leave the partitions unchanged (size, filesystem...)
- set the root partition to be formatted (I think that's automatic)
- uncheck (i.e. disable) formatting for the other partitions
- assign /home and /data to the proper partitions

I've been doing this since 4.10 and have never had a problem - however, be CAREFUL!

sparklingspecks
August 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
You could also just backup your home directory. (And save a list of applications through Synaptic "Package Download Script Generation".) Or not?

corkscrew
August 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
sounds good thanks

megamania
August 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
You could also just backup your home directory.
I'd say you should backup, even when not reinstalling...

louieb
August 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I have a separate home partition on my laptop (IBM T30). Did a fresh install of Jaunty over Intrepid without formating /home. Due to the changes in Gnome configuration had some problems when logged on. To fix renamed folder .gconf and Gnome added it back with its defaults.

What sometimes happens - new version of a program combined with settings from previous version can sometimes lead to weird results. lol.

Johann-1.0
September 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I have a separate home partition on my laptop (IBM T30). Did a fresh install of Jaunty over Intrepid without formating /home. Due to the changes in Gnome configuration had some problems when logged on. To fix renamed folder .gconf and Gnome added it back with its defaults.

What sometimes happens - new version of a program combined with settings from previous version can sometimes lead to weird results. lol.

I had the same problems logging on...Can you tell me how did you fix them? I can't understand: "To fix renamed folder .gconf and Gnome...". What is exactly the procedure I should follow?
Thank you