PDA

View Full Version : Which instant messaging client are you using?

legolas_w
August 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I am wondering what is market share of different instant messaging client. Please participate in the poll.

Thanks.

alexandari
August 6th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Skype all the way

hellion0
August 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Empathy on my machines with GUIs, centerim on those without, Adium on my Mac.

Sublime Porte
August 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
No Psi?

Johnsie
August 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
MSN Messenger. That's what most of my friends use and it has good Audio/video features compared to some of the open source 'equivalent' msn clients.

Sublime Porte
August 6th, 2009, 10:16 AM
it has good Audio/video features compared to some of the open source 'equivalent' msn clients.Considering the MSN Messenger protocol is closed, and most developers who want to create clients need to reverse engineer the entire protocol with packet sniffers just to connect with it, any usability they offer is EXCELLENT. You should blame Microsoft for the lack of good 3rd. party clients, not the 3rd. party clients. They have done an excellent job considering the closed nature of the protocol.

Arup
August 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Pidgin, works like a charm, wish it had cam support. Skype for audio video, even in Linux it has excellent quality.

Majorix
August 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I use Pidgin, though I chat only rarely.

VCoolio
August 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I used to use Pidgin for msn, jabber and irc. I recently changed to irssi for irc and also jabber, it's light and fun. Maybe I'll also import msn in irssi if possible, but I hardly use instant messaging except with housemates (how lame is that?). At least Pidgin won't see much of me anymore, although it's a good app (but I can't really compare since I didn't use other gui messengers).

Eisenwinter
August 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Why is Bitlbee not on that list?

Sublime Porte
August 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Why is Bitlbee not on that list?

First time I've heard of it.

Seems like a gateway rather than an IM client (although that line is pretty thin it seems with bitlbee).

amitabhishek
August 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Embedded chat applets in the browsers.

Bölvağur
August 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM
MSN Messenger. That's what most of my friends use and it has good Audio/video features compared to some of the open source 'equivalent' msn clients.

no.. oh please... it does not have a good audio/video features compared to Skype.
You cannot dial any phone in your house to any of your contacts on skype do you? Well.. you could if you'd have a skype server, the msn protocol is as great as Eric Cartman in the handicapped Olympics, it is slow and can be only one one place (last place) (current location, north west coast usa)

DougieFresh4U
August 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Gyachi

UbuWu
August 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Emesene

wipeout140
August 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Emesene for GNOME
Kmess for KDE

vishzilla
August 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I use Kopete on my KDE :)

poisonkiller
August 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Emesene.

legolas_w
August 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Well, I am using Empathy and I can say I am satisfied with its set of features and ease of use. I installed a development build by reading http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/Install

I suggest everyone try it, at least for its video and audio chat over google talk.

RiceMonster
August 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Pidgin for msn and aim. It just feels simple and clean. Never had any problems with it.

For irc (which I don't use often) I use irssi.

Technoviking
August 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well, I am using Empathy and I can say I am satisfied with its set of features and ease of use. I installed a development build by reading http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/Install

I suggest everyone try it, at least for its video and audio chat over google talk.

There is also a ppa for Telepathy/Empathy at
https://edge.launchpad.net/~telepathy/+archive/ppa

T-V

Redundant Username
August 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I use Pidgin. Are there any client that support voice? I used Kopete in Windows (KDE4win), but it had no voice support and looked ugly.

gnomeuser
August 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I use empathy for my jabber (googletalk) needs and aMSN for MSN but only because this is currently the only MSN client that supports webcams, other than that it's a horrible application. I hope to switch to Empathy fulltime for both protocols soon.

khelben1979
August 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Pidgin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_%28software%29).

ubudog
August 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Pidgin. It has support for a lot of protocols. It is amazing. The only I don't like about it is that it has no support for webcams. :)

JillSwift
August 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Where's the option for "I don't use an IM client because I have no friends I prefer e-mail."?

ubudog
August 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I used to use Pidgin for msn, jabber and irc. I recently changed to irssi for irc and also jabber, it's light and fun. Maybe I'll also import msn in irssi if possible, but I hardly use instant messaging except with housemates (how lame is that?). At least Pidgin won't see much of me anymore, although it's a good app (but I can't really compare since I didn't use other gui messengers).

You can use amsn for msn. :)

chriskin
August 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
emesene from the svn repository, can't find it in the list though
it's way better than most of the clients you mentioned

edit : seeing that many answers are about emesene, i think that the poll has a small problem :P

Tipped OuT
August 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
No Emesene?

donniezazen
August 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I use Pidgin primarily. But have to use Empathy and Gyach also for voice and video.

Marlonsm
August 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I don't use IM much, but when I do, Pidgin fits my needs well.