PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] That's it. I'm out of here!

DrSpirograph
August 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I came to Ubuntu 3 years ago thinking it was shaping up into a nice mature desktop system - boy was I wrong. I've had it.

Before coming to Ubuntu I used Gentoo, and Linux from Scratch before that.

I was hoping for an operating system where I didn't have to spend the first good few months after an install or an upgrade trawling the net for bug fixes and how tos to work around issues.

My most recent install was Jaunty and I find it terrible that it made it through quality control, here are some of my favorite features of the new release:

My desktop grinds to a halt when transferring to or from USB disks.
That's right, when I want to copy files, I can't let it go on in the background and browse the net or edit a document or *anything*, I have to get up and leave my computer and come back when it's done. I thought we left this kind of thing behind in the 90's!
I spent a full day searching forums and launchpad to try and find a solution, and only found it was a known issue!

Add to that, Kmail mysteriously looses messages - I'll go to lookup an old message and find it's not there - if it wasn't for the fact that gmail keeps things archived forever, I'd be missing some very important data.

The new KDE4 desktop frequently locks, I had to reboot at least twice a day, on bad days, once every couple of hours.

Audacity in Jaunty LOOSES DATA!
I spend hours editing, save the file, come back, and portions of tracks are flat - the sound just gone!

The new Amarok 2 is dead on arrival - when I update my collection, song titles and artists get jumbled up - suddenly Cosmic Girl is a song by Nine Inch Nails!

Wireless internet manager, if I have a choice between two networks and I ask for the other network - I have to enter the credentials for that network all over again, it just forgets everything.

OpenOffice 3 now has a "feature" that causes my clipboard to expire or something?!? I'll cut some text in writer, read, edit a bit and then go to paste, but the clipboard is empty! The bit I cut: gone - the only way to get it back is to Ctrl-Z until it's returned and try again.
How is this a helpful feature?

Power management hasn't got a clue what's going on - my laptop gets forced to sleep when it's plugged in, and other times when it's unplugged it'll just blink off because the battery's flat, even though the battery monitor in the system tray says it's full.

Power management in shutdown menu seems to be completely independant of the power management daemon - if I shutdown the laptop and then close the lid before it shuts down, next time I open the lid, it turns on just long enough for me to watch it finish the shutdown - and of course the battery's next to empty from maintaining it asleep while almost shutdown. Brilliant!

Of course, the new release *looks* very nice.
I'm all for upgrades, and new features and eye candy, but if the old features that used to be easy and efficient aren't anymore - then it's not an upgrade!

So disappointed - I really thought Ubuntu would be the linux desktop distro - I look at this release and cannot conceive how anyone can take the first issue on launchpad even remotely seriously.

I'm giving up now - because I just want to use my computer, I'm sick of trying to fix it.

adamant715
August 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I completely agree, it's fairly annoying.

Fully216
August 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear that your experience with Ubuntu has been less than pleasurable. I can honestly say that I have not had any of those problems you mentioned in your post.

My USB transfers are fine. I use Rythembox instead so I cannot comment on the song renaming issue you have been having. Everything you mentioned seems to work flawlessly for myself. I even got my blackberry working as a tethered modem the other day. I was quite proud of myself for doing that.

From what I can tell, most people do not experience the sheer number for severity of problems you have been having. Good luck with another OS if you decide to switch. As for me, I am still EXTREMELY happy with Ubuntu and will continue to recommend it to my friends.

guitar_man
August 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM
It ok,no ever force you to use ubuntu or linux on your computer.
Try other OS that fits for yous use.:D

coller_girl
August 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM
i agree and wish too add pigeon frequently crashes, the os forces my cpu fan too go hell for leather, There is no way to downgrade too a earlier version safely. "it will break your system" thanks for warning me that it will break the system before it installed the upgrades for me automatically.

i too am highly frustraigted infact the only reason i use ubuntu is simple, i cannot afford a different OS an OS that works.

oh and i really want my ipod too work with it it mounts it yet musicbox wont add tracks nore will any other programme...

please fix this............

ddrichardson
August 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
please fix this............

I appreciate your frustration, there is no point asking for a fix here. If you don't raise a bug report on Launchpad, the chances of the right person seeing it are minimal.

While some scan the forum, most rely on reports which are mailed to us in our teams, those reported to the wrong teams are picked up by them and redirected or noticed by bug triagers.

To the OP, your experience is not common but that's not to say it doesn't happen. If you still have it installed I'd be happy to log the bugs for you with the relevant information.

the8thstar
August 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I am not going against your choice, but I can't help but notice that several applications you mentioned are not Ubuntu dependant (KDE, Amarok 2, etc). Have you witnessed the same problems in another distro?

kostkon
August 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Eh, you are using Kubuntu and not Ubuntu. As far as I know, KDE4 is still a little buggy.

Katalog
August 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear that your experience with Ubuntu has been less than pleasurable. I can honestly say that I have not had any of those problems you mentioned in your post.

My USB transfers are fine. I use Rythembox instead so I cannot comment on the song renaming issue you have been having. Everything you mentioned seems to work flawlessly for myself. I even got my blackberry working as a tethered modem the other day. I was quite proud of myself for doing that.

From what I can tell, most people do not experience the sheer number for severity of problems you have been having. Good luck with another OS if you decide to switch. As for me, I am still EXTREMELY happy with Ubuntu and will continue to recommend it to my friends.

Same here. I can't ever recall anyone having that many issues at one time with ANY distro. I have the odd occassional annoyance with an app here and there like anyone else, but never anything I couldn't fix relatively easily. I've even got my completely tech illiterate wife happily using UNR on her Eee PC and I rarely ever even get a complaint or question from her, much less my more experienced Ubuntu using friends.

crs0328
August 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I would consider myself fairly new to Ubuntu and linux (less than 2 years) and I've had nowhere near that amount of trouble. I wonder if it is your hardware? When I got started, I remember Ubuntu having serious issues with my hard drive, but I got a new one and the problems went away.

Ubuntu is a great project and I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

pmlxuser
August 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
bye bye man. if you don't like a girl friend you leave her nicely in case you might some time later want to come back.

so if the *buntu is not your favourite today you might find it very interesting 2 years after, so what are you gonna do.

So far my experience has been smooooooth.

enjoy your next distro.

wirate
August 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
yeah KDE was buggy with my system too. I switched to gnome. Much better!. give it a try

Stevie78
August 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Apart from the USB copy issue on occasion, Ive never had any problems. And even then my screen doesnt completely freeze, the copy window just turns grey (sometimes) when Id like to do something else while its copying.

Ubuntu is the future.

Tremlett
August 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
As a newbie, I can only identify with some of your frustration, but still enough to wonder what the advantage over Windows is, besides being free and fast. Once I have successfully "mounted" my external hard drive, which all of the sudden won't mount for reasons beyond me, I will be sweeping my hard drive and checking out another distro, Fedora perhaps.

NotJustANewbie
August 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I totally agree with the amarok thing, what were they thinking?!?

epsolon77
August 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have found the KDE desktop to be pleasing to the eye, but not very functional. About a year ago I spent a few months searching for a linux distro to try to convert my office to. As such I tried everything from freeBSD to Fedora to Kubuntu and finally settled on Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop. I will tell you my reasoning in hopes that it might help you on your mission for YOUR perfect linux distro

freeBSD was...well...not as well documented

Fedora was BIG. I mean HUGE compared to ubuntu. Not a bad thing, just not gonna work for what I need.

Kubuntu had the look, but wasn't stable enough

Ubuntu was light, well supported and documented, and stable. I would prefer it if the KDE were as stable as Gnome, but Gnome works, and that is most important to me.

I hope this little bit of info helps. Good luck in your search!

PGHammer
August 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have found the KDE desktop to be pleasing to the eye, but not very functional. About a year ago I spent a few months searching for a linux distro to try to convert my office to. As such I tried everything from freeBSD to Fedora to Kubuntu and finally settled on Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop. I will tell you my reasoning in hopes that it might help you on your mission for YOUR perfect linux distro

freeBSD was...well...not as well documented

Fedora was BIG. I mean HUGE compared to ubuntu. Not a bad thing, just not gonna work for what I need.

Kubuntu had the look, but wasn't stable enough

Ubuntu was light, well supported and documented, and stable. I would prefer it if the KDE were as stable as Gnome, but Gnome works, and that is most important to me.

I hope this little bit of info helps. Good luck in your search!

GNOME is a very stable desktop (which is a plus for those that want exactly that); that is why GNOME is also very popular outside of Linux (it's the default in most respins of OpenSolaris, and with OpenSolaris itself, for example).

That is also one of the problems that some folks have with GNOME.

GNOME is very stable because, unlike any other open-source desktop, it changes very seldom. (How much has the core of GNOME changed since Sun adopted GNOME as the default desktop for Solaris, and later OpenSolaris, replacing CDE?)

KDE (and especially KDE 4) is like the AMG Benz. Looks great, runs like a hurricane, but can be finickier than Garfield.

I like KDE 4 (and 4.3 in particular), and I came to KDE 4 from 3.x, and from GNOME prior to that. However, I still have gone through my own share of woe-is-me's with KDE in general, and 4.3 in particular.

KDE 4.3 isn't for everyone; it isn't even for a lot of fans of KDE.

PGHammer
August 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
The Amarok change is not 4.3-triggered. That change has to do with restrictions on certain codec usages in some countries (I ran into this with Amarok prior to 4.3). So Amarok doesn't deserve to get whacked.

Kmetamorphosis
August 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
My recent upgrade to KDE 4.3 was surprisingly pleasant. My computer feels faster, and a few of the things that irked me about KDE have been addressed (problems with the battery and network manager plasmoids). I would not recommend KDE to new users as fast as I would GNOME, but I personally prefer it.

With that said, Kubuntu works for me just fine. It's clear it's in a state of rapid development, but outside of the occasional crash, everything works smoothly. That's fine by me, considering Windows apps also occasionally crash, and it's a relatively stationary operating system until the next version comes out years later.