PDA

View Full Version : linux IT jobs

philcamlin
August 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM
hey guys,
when i grow up i want to be a computer IT or technician
is there any jobs that get well paid for linux or do i have to go with windows and work from there :D

overdrank
August 6th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe

matthekc
August 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM
As a PC Technician most of what you will see in the field at this time will be Windows. However that could change if more business and or home users migrate from Windows

As an Administrator you could find a job that deals mostly in Linux machines. However knowing multiple systems such as Linux, general UNIX, and Windows server makes you a much more flexible job applicant.

In short don't be afraid to specialize in Linux but be aware that unless the industry shifts to mostly Linux knowing other systems will help you get a job.

The same is true for someone who want to be a windows administrator... As shops with both Windows and Linux machines become more common a mix of skills will become a necessity.

philcamlin
August 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
cool so since i have a vbox machine with vista i can just learn both and ill be a better applicant thanks :)

matthekc
August 6th, 2009, 04:11 AM
What kind of job do you think you might want?

Here is a pretty good listing and description of computer jobs.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000764.htm

Also note that different jobs are harder to get. It is very easy to find a PC repair shop to work part time in. However an administrator needs either a degree or certifications and probably an intern-ship. Also the previous experience part time at the PC repair shop could help the administrator look like he or she has real work experience.

tgalati4
August 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Everyone wants to ride the horses, but the real money is cleaning up the messes.

Learn how linux can solve business problems. Study an application such as sugarcrm.com

Learn how to program in it, customize it, install it, deploy it. The IT stuff will grow from all the integration issues that you will encounter.

Sublime Porte
August 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Depends what field you're in. A lot of programming jobs are focused around open source software. A friend recently tried to tell me most programming jobs are .net based, so I did a quick comparison, and found most were actually using open source languages like PHP, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby etc.

And there's definitely tons more sys admin jobs for Linux and Solaris than for Windows.

jacktar
August 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Have a look at this site, it will give you an idea what's available.

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch?search_type=quick&location_within=20&fp_skill_include=linux&location_include=&annual_hourlyreqd_salary_low=annual&reqd_salary_low=ANY&reqd_salary_high=ANY&jobtype=E&daysback=7

Johnsie
August 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
There are Linux jobs available. Most of them are server maintenance jobs or web/intranet development jobs.

Knowing Linux is one thing, but if you want to be a good IT professional then you really need to know different types of operating system. People expect IT professionals to know everything about computers.

As far as the desktop is concerned, most businesses use Windows on their workstations. I've introduced Linux on a few machines that aren't used regularly, but I would get complaints if I tried to make some migrate to Linux.