PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 9.04 on Dell Optiplex GX280

A Zen Roshi
August 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 live cd (i386 32 bit) to install on a Dell Optiplex GX280 Pentium 4 with 1.5 gigabytes memory and 80 gig hard drive. The computer is 32 bit. The installation cd will boot and the desktop will load. When I click INSTALL - nothing happens (no lights on cd rom, no screen activity, no dialog boxes - nothing). I have checked the memory and the cd. I verified the checksum prior to burning the ISO cd. This machine had Version 6 Edgy installed and worked fine. I then reformatted to install 9.04 and KABOOM - system is nonresponsive. Any help will be appreciated.

aysiu
August 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Perhaps there's some kind of hardware failure in your computer?

If people have problems with the CD, it's usually one of three things: Not enough RAM Corrupted .iso or CD Hardware failure Since you've already ruled out the first two (1.5 GB of RAM is plenty), it may be a hardware failure. Not sure how to diagnose that, though.

A Zen Roshi
August 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It doesn't appear to be hardware failure since I can install Version 6 - Edgy just for kicks. I think it is a matter of incompatibility. I will keep searching. Thank you for your post.

om26er
August 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
try usb install. it may work
use unetbootin for that

rothenmr
December 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have a GX280 also. Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 installed just fine. I; however, installed Ubuntu 8.10 from the free CD I requested and then upgraded to 9.04 and then 9.10 using the upgrade manager. It must be the install CD you are using or a hardware issue.