PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Weird login screen... with nowhere to login...

obarthelemy
August 6th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hi.

I installed XFCE-Desktop on top of vanilla Ubuntu. Now when I boot my PC, I'm faced with a simple screen that I can't identify, and that will only... let me reboot to that same screen. Does anyone know what that is, and how to break out of that infinite loop ?

- The screen appears after the GRUB menu, but all options of the GRUB menu lead me there.
- background image is a lake, with a wooded shore in the background, all in black/blue hues.
- Menus are: Restart, Shutdown, Language, Session (with a choice of Gnome, XFCE, and a few others) and Actions (which recaps the others, plus an option to look for an xdmcp server).

There's nowhere to enter my credentials nor exit the program. Reboot or Restart take me back to the same place... There's no help, no app name...

I've tried lots of keys and combinations, nothing happens.

I'm clueless... just hoping to find someone who knows what that thing is, and how I can get out ^^

quixote
August 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Very weird. Could your system have been hacked? Selecting recovery option ought to take you to a root command line, not nice pictures. The only way I can think for that to happen is a hack. ?? Have you tried booting from a Live CD? If you can, have you tried to see what's on the hard drive?