PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] right click - root menu

blur xc
August 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I've seen that now on a few screen shot threads.

how do you set that up? I did some searching, and can't find anything real useful. One was to install another window manager?? Can you do that in Gnome?

BM

ugm6hr
August 6th, 2009, 12:19 AM
What do you mean root menu?

If you mean open file browser with sudo (root) privileges, this can be done with a script from nautilus, or using a customisation in Thunar (Xfce browser).

There is also a nautilus plugin, although the name escapes me, and I never got it to work (in 8.04).

Brandon Williams
August 6th, 2009, 01:58 AM
You can get an application menu via right-click on the root window with XFCE, as well as most lightweight desktops (like fluxbox, fvwm, and openbox, for example). I have never found a way to do this with Gnome or KDE.

That said, you can get the application menu to pop-up in Gnome via a keystroke (Ctrl+F1 by default, though I usually switch to the Windows key). If you don't have a menu applet in your panel, then this will be a floating menu that pops up wherever the mouse pointer happens to be.

blur xc
August 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
You can get an application menu via right-click on the root window with XFCE, as well as most lightweight desktops (like fluxbox, fvwm, and openbox, for example). I have never found a way to do this with Gnome or KDE.

That said, you can get the application menu to pop-up in Gnome via a keystroke (Ctrl+F1 by default, though I usually switch to the Windows key). If you don't have a menu applet in your panel, then this will be a floating menu that pops up wherever the mouse pointer happens to be.

Oh, that's kind of cool. I'll have to try that one out.

Thanks,
BM