PDA

View Full Version : quick python question

JDShu
August 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
How do I make a copy of a two dimensional list? I know the quickest way to make a copy of a one dimensional list is:

ListA=ListB[:]

Yet a two dimensional list (a list within a list) using that code ends up with only one dimension being a copy and the the seocnd dimension being references. ListA = ListB[:][:] also doesn't seem to work.

Bodsda
August 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
How do I make a copy of a two dimensional list? I know the quickest way to make a copy of a one dimensional list is:

Yet a two dimensional list (a list within a list) using that code ends up with only one dimension being a copy and the the seocnd dimension being references. ListA = ListB[:][:] also doesn't seem to work.

Use the copy module.

>>> import copy
>>> a = [[0]*4]*2
>>> a
[[0, 0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0, 0]]
>>> b = copy.deepcopy(a)
>>> a, b
>>> print a,"\n",b
>>> a[0][0] = 1
>>> print a,"\n",b
[[1, 0, 0, 0], [1, 0, 0, 0]]
>>>

Hope this helps,

Bodsda

JDShu
August 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks very much! I suppose thats the only way? I had hoped to avoid importing new modules, to avoid confusion but it definitely helps.

Bodsda
August 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks very much! I suppose thats the only way? I had hoped to avoid importing new modules, to avoid confusion but it definitely helps.

I'm not sure, I asked in #python but didnt get much of a response. But tbh, dont worry about confusion, just add a comment

import copy #To duplicate an object
b = copy.deepcopy(a) #duplicates a as b

confusion avoided.

snova
August 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Perhaps something like:

ListA = [i[:] for i in ListB]

Though the copy module might be simpler.