PDA

View Full Version : The Sun on Bing and Google

Ian dewhurst
August 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2570027/Microsofts-Bing-takes-on-Google.html

There is a couple of points in this article that just irritate me somewhat and I shall list them, to see if there any like minded people.
Before I begin however I don't want to appear like a MS basher, but just that it seemed, that the article above was a tad one sided.

1. It states that Google's looks are a bit on the plain side, now forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there is something called iGoogle available for everyone.
To be honest I quite like the idea of being able to set something that would resemble a worthy homepage without 'hunting' through searches (as it can list sport, news, you can theme it etc) Now how is this not pretty?

2. Under the last point against Google (Ego-search) the article states that they used a large breasted lady to search for herself.
Heres the point is she a moron?
I searched her name and came up with results without needing to use boolean notation.

I know to some that this is a pointless post, however I just can't understand why they are patting the backs of MS without waying in a fair argument to begin with.

sydbat
August 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well...it seems like the same type of rag that we have here...interestingly also called the Sun (http://www.calgarysun.com/)...not a newspaper, more a sensationalized-accounting-of-daily-events-that-rarely-has-anything-to-do-with-reality paper (technically, and accurately called a tabloid)...

Ian dewhurst
August 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah I know the feeling I only read it on my dinner break when I'm bored.

Its a hateful paper before MJ died they called him weird a pedophile etc. and after he died a legend we should all buy his albums
And the same with Jade Goody its a pretty garbage newspaper to be perfectly honest.

JohnFH
August 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Yeah I know the feeling I only read it on my dinner break when I'm bored.

Its a hateful paper before MJ died they called him weird a pedophile etc. and after he died a legend we should all buy his albums
And the same with Jade Goody its a pretty garbage newspaper to be perfectly honest.

Then don't read it and certainly don't pay any attention to what it says. Seriously just look at that how simple the language is. Short paragraphs, short sentences and small words = meant for people with small brains. That rag is such an insult to the general public.

Ian dewhurst
August 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Meh when your on your own there is nothing else to do, my dinner break is half an hour before every one else's.

I understand where you come from though, it is the kind of paper thats written in such a manner so it upsets average joe public, but hey it sells and well.

I also think the writer's are rather talented to be able to write in such a manner, considering most of them probably have student loans up to their eyes and were taught journalism at - *insert university here*

hyperdude111
August 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Its the Sun, their articles are biased and often factually incorrect. The first section of their website is devoted to Big Brother...sigh.
On the front page alone there are for different pictures of topless women and they interview a topless model to find her favorite search engine. They even write in the article

But Bill Gates' Microsoft is fighting back
Makes you feel bad for Steve Balmer

The Toxic Mite
August 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Meh when your on your own there is nothing else to do, my dinner break is half an hour before every one else's.

I understand where you come from though, it is the kind of paper thats written in such a manner so it upsets average joe public, but hey it sells and well.

I also think the writer's are rather talented to be able to write in such a manner, considering most of them probably have student loans up to their eyes and were taught journalism at - *insert university here*

I resent that :|

The Toxic Mite
August 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Its the Sun, their articles are biased and often factually incorrect. The first section of their website is devoted to Big Brother...sigh.
On the front page alone there are for different pictures of topless women and they interview a topless model to find her favorite search engine. They even write in the article

Makes you feel bad for Steve Balmer

+1

Newspaper companies should be allowed to publish whatever they want (providing it's not offensive).

All newspaper companies are biased (I am not trying to make this into a political thread by the way) and that's fine by me.

Sealbhach
August 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
This is like relying on the National Enquirer for your tech news. The Sun is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox News.

aysiu
August 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
On the whole, a better search engine but it's going to be hard to break the Google habit. This is one advantage Google does have, and I wouldn't discount it no matter how "good" Bing becomes as a search engine.

Isn't this the primary reason people still use Windows? It's hard to break the habit?

If I am used to using something, there has to be a really compelling reason for me to switch. If Google suits my needs, it's not enough for another search engine to even be just as good. It would have to be significantly better.

I tried using Cuil a few times, and I just got annoyed. In some cases it returned better results than Google. In other cases it returned worse results. So I just stick with Google. I like the minimalist layout. And even though Google is a large corporation, I like them better than I like Microsoft.

Mr. Picklesworth
August 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'll give Bing this: its front page is really clever. They put up a new photograph very often (and it's always really nice looking), and it's quite educational and fun. It still isn't a particularly smart search engine, though:

I've actually started using Wikipedia a lot more as a search engine. (Noticed this by realizing that half of my search queries are "[something] wikipedia"). The references and external links from articles are really handy.

Sealbhach
August 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
The reason I liked the Google page right from the start was the simple clear page layout. It was a really brave and bold thing to do at the time and it made Google really distinct.

hanzomon4
August 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Big Breasted lady? What?!

Sublime Porte
August 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
It states that Google's looks are a bit on the plain side

Actually this is what made Google what it is today IMHO. In a time when search engines were becoming increasingly cluttered with news, email interfaces, messaging interfaces etc. Google came along and delivered a nice plain 'out of your way' interface, that loaded almost instantly, and actually focused more on results than selling you their other offerings.