PDA

View Full Version : Profession and skillset before switching to ubuntu?

levicc00123
August 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
(Mods, I'm not sure where I should have put this, please move it as needed.)

Hi, I'm hoping to start a business offering local GNU/Linux support, including doing installations, packaging software, and more. But before I write the business plan, I'd like to get some information from the Linux community about their profession and their computer skill set so I can figure out who to target as clients. Thank you. :popcorn:

HappyFeet
August 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I have my own pc repair business, and have about 15 customers that switched/dual boot with linux. (ubuntu) I find that the people most likely to switch are people that know very little about computers, and have very basic needs. (they do not rely on windows only software) Or people with children. The people with kids usually wind up dual booting, so that they can continue using such apps as Quicken, Turbo Tax, etc., and the kids can use linux without fear of getting a virus and screwing up the windows installation. Just make sure to set it up for them 100%, (codecs, apps, etc) and ask them everything they do on the computer. A quick tutorial about how linux works will also help. Also, it is probably a good idea to disable the Distribution upgrade option in the updates section. That way they won't be tempted to upgrade and possibly mess the system up.

Garrovick
August 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Retired Air Force Aircraft Maintainer. Currently since 1992 a self employed General Building Contractor.

About the only thing I might need is some sort of 3G network set up and a fancy interactive Desktop to impress the customers with.

And I keep my Windows and Ubuntu living separate and different lives. I can do both.

Dr. Moreau
August 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm an archaeologist specializing in mapping and illustration. I recently purchased a netbook with Ubuntu installed. I chose a netbook because I wanted something cheap and portable to take in the field for email, road reports and a bit of web surfing in my motel room. I chose Linux because I wanted something fast, not-buggy and not-bulky. I also wanted to check out some open-source CAD and GIS software, since I've had problems with app lock-in and discontinued apps.

I also do website design for my company, and manage our email and ftp.

I'm loving Ubuntu. I wasn't expecting to transition so fast, but within days I junked my old home desktop. I installed Eeebuntu on my netbook and found it included everything I needed, and much more. I installed my old home computer's hard drive into my work desktop and started dual-booting at work.

Good luck with your enterprise.

armandh
August 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
retired but I can sort out hardware problems and could reinstall XP. now I install "Ubuntu Instead"

those who need help are those who would be unable to reload their own OS. those with very new or very old hardware where OOTB linux isn't OOTB yet.

Sef
August 6th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

swoll1980
August 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I was in sales when I started using Linux, but now I'm in school for networking security.

sjelliott
August 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Nurse for 20 years and no formal computer training. I learned my way around windows out of necessity. Just when I thought I'd have to keep putting up with windows I found Ubuntu. It worked so well I have gotten brave and tried out other distros. I currently run Ubuntu on my main computer and Mint on my netbook via a USB pen drive. Now for my next project, web design and learning French.

ugm6hr
August 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I suspect that a lot of forum users here would be unlikely to be potential personal customers, since the majority are here to get free community help and sort out their own issues. You will occasionally see someone posting with a monetary offer for a working solution, but that is rare.

Compare this with the proprietary world, where most people ask a friend to solve their software issues (i.e. for free). People prepared to pay for solutions will often have invested in good insurance from the outset (i.e. antivirus etc).

Corporate customers are obviously an entirely different kettle of fish. As are hardware solutions / repairs.

But in answer to your question, I have never had any formal IT background other than the compulsory university course that the preliminary module started with, "If you move the mouse around on the desk, you will see the pointer moving on the screen in a corresponding manner." Learned everything I know about Linux from man pages, this forum and a handful of other resources online, largely learning as I experimented. Now I'm now pretty good with Linux and MS (although forgetting the MS stuff rapidly), and can Google with the best of them..

Bölvağur
August 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
When I began I had studied computer science at a university and had also prior experience with computers on a low level through trade school.
I dont really know much about computer.
Here is a short list of what I know.

1. Put up a NFS network.
2. Program silly games in open gl from ground up for linux, I honestly dont know how to port to windows nor do I care.

Zlatan
August 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
1- Electronics sales plus 2- custom software for small and middle companies sales.

Ubuntu fits perfectly as it does everything I need in my preferred way and additionally:
1- Windows-related software can be used by connecting to companies server with rdesktop:)
2- I sell JAVA-based software so I do not really care about operating systems at the customers. Of course it is better if there's a possibility to put Ubuntu there:)

ZizzerZuz
August 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
First PC, 1979-ish Atari 800
Upgrade to Macintosh 1984
First Internet connection, 1995 via Mac 9600 baud, with a stolen slip account through a local University to friends Linux box. Browsing via linx
First job doing IT (1996) was a BSD based local ISP.
Currently run a support department for 300 locations all running some form of Linux or Unix.
I run Ubuntu on two hosts at home. If I can manage to make some games work for my son I may move him over as well. My wife is probably the only hold out and I may never convince her to switch.