PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE apps in Ubuntu

Howard Kaikow
August 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I just did a google search search and found umpteen postings on how to use KDE instead of Gnome, and vice versa.

The postings are confusing.

Some said that both desktops had to be installed, and then you had to reboot or logout to switch desktops.

Some said that only certain packages had to be installed.

Others said that (some) KDE programs could run in Gnome.

Others said ... .

I am not at all interested in using KDE, but I may be interested in using particular apps, e.g., K3b, in Ubuntu.

What do I need to install?

Do I have to reboot/logout just to use the particular apps?

Does it depend on the particular app?
I expect that this is a common question, and that there is a single definitive answer someplace. Maybe I searched with the wrong words in google?

Or does it depend on whether the moon is actually made of green cheese?

Bucky Ball
August 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
No, the apps will be there whether you choose KDE or Gnome from 'Sessions' at login. The only thing that will be different is the desktop environment. When you install KDE apps, it should install any dependencies or tell you to, just like Gnome. Some KDE apps will run fine in Gnome.

Howard Kaikow
August 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
No, the apps will be there whether you choose KDE or Gnome from 'Sessions' at login. The only thing that will be different is the desktop environment. When you install KDE apps, it should install any dependencies or tell you to, just like Gnome. Some KDE apps will run fine in Gnome.

Thank.

That was my recollection from 2+ years ago.
The articles I found did not say this.
Of course, there were hundreds of hits, most of which seem to address having bothe desktops available.

Hmmm. perhaps if I google "K3b Gnome", requiring both words to be included? OK, that. comes up with about 8400000 hits. I'll start reading now ... !

oldos2er
August 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
"What do I need to install?"

Just run

sudo apt-get install k3b
and the package manager will handle everything for you.

Bucky Ball
August 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
http://tipotheday.com/2008/01/22/quick-tip-k3b-on-ubuntu-with-gnome/

Found that in 10 seconds with:

"k3b gnome ubuntu"