PDA

View Full Version : Speed differences between xubuntu releases?

ksennin
August 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I posted this before in the general help section, and got no responses, but I guess it was too much of an opinion/commentary thing, so it may be more of a Community cafe thing.

So... I have a P3-667/512mb ram loaded with xubuntu 7.10 and working at acceptable speed, and a p3-1000/512mb with xubuntu 8.04 also working at acceptable speed.

I had originally planned to keep 8.04 for the duration of its LTS cycle, to avoid the hassle of upgrades, reinstalls, etc. However, I had to change hard drive, and after reading at K.Mandla's blog http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/fair-but-honest-xubuntu-810/
that the 8.10 version had been streamlined a bit (as opposed to the opposite report on the 9.04 version http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1133123) I wondered if changing to 8.10 may not be worthwhile.

The idea of a newer yet lighter release is tempting, but how noticeable is the improvement in system weight/speed? Does it merit to lose the LTS benefit?

I may multiple-boot with crunchbang and other distros, but I am fond of xubuntu and it is what my daughter has been using until now so I want to keep it even if there are lighter distros I could use.

Thanks.

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
My last machine was a P3s and I loved it, it was amazing how much it would do. However, I did not run Ubuntu then.

I don't like upgrading every 6 months (support for one year) so I do LTS. If you go for 810, may want to be prepared for modem issues, 810 had its share. Just playing I did an 810 upgrade on a spare drive a few weeks back and it worked fine. Which is funny because first time i tried it (clean install) it didn't work out of the box.

ksennin
August 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
My last machine was a P3s and I loved it, it was amazing how much it would do. However, I did not run Ubuntu then.

I don't like upgrading every 6 months (support for one year) so I do LTS. If you go for 810, may want to be prepared for modem issues, 810 had its share. Just playing I did an 810 upgrade on a spare drive a few weeks back and it worked fine. Which is funny because first time i tried it (clean install) it didn't work out of the box.
I bought the P3s (Dell GX-110 towers) at a second-hand place for about a hundred US bucks each (packaged with 17" CTRs, and new mice, keyboards, and speakers), and have been happy with them once I bumped up their ram to the maximum 512mb. I could have gotten P4-1.8ghz for just a bit more but I heard the P3s run much cooler and use less power. My current daily usage pc is a PentiumD-3.0ghz and its fans are driving me deaf.

I use DSL lines on these, not modems, and have had no internet problems. Everything worked out of the box in any install. The 20gb drive of the p3-1.0 (with 8.04) is going to be replaced by a 200gb one (to store heavy overnight downloading) and there is where I ponder if xub8.10 may prove faster or not.

aysiu
August 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
My system is a little different from yours (Intel Atom processor, 2 GB of RAM), but I've found Ubuntu 9.04 to be considerably speedier than 8.10 or 8.04. And that's regular Ubuntu running Compiz. I'm sure Xubuntu 9.04 should also be pretty speedy on a Pentium 3 with 512 MB of RAM.

ksennin
August 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM
My system is a little different from yours (Intel Atom processor, 2 GB of RAM), but I've found Ubuntu 9.04 to be considerably speedier than 8.10 or 8.04. And that's regular Ubuntu running Compiz. I'm sure Xubuntu 9.04 should also be pretty speedy on a Pentium 3 with 512 MB of RAM.
Thats a lot of ram on that Atom machine!

I understand that 9.04 by design provides significant faster boot times (and uses the faster ext4 filesystem), but does the increase in speed concern also the normal functioning? Boot time is not that much of an issue for me. I care more about being able to run several programs at once and firefox not freezing after opening one tab too many.

The programs I use the most are firefox, deluge, jdownloader and the ocassional vlc as multiple media player.

aysiu
August 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thats a lot of ram on that Atom machine!

I understand that 9.04 by design provides significant faster boot times (and uses the faster ext4 filesystem), but does the increase in speed concern also the normal functioning? Boot time is not that much of an issue for me. I care more about being able to run several programs at once and firefox not freezing after opening one tab too many.

The programs I use the most are firefox, deluge, jdownloader and the ocassional vlc as multiple media player.
Yes, the boot times are considerably faster, but even just the general responsiveness of applications is better.

If you have only 512 MB of RAM, I don't think you can load a ton of applications at once.

My point was mainly that the Windows and Mac conventional wisdom of "newer release requires more resources" doesn't apply to Linux. Newer releases usually take the same resources, use fewer resources, or just use the resources more efficiently.

If you're really worried about applications freezing up on you, I would advise using lighterweight applications--Sylpheed instead of Thunderbird, Dillo instead of Firefox, AbiWord and Gnumeric instead of OpenOffice, etc.