PDA

View Full Version : So I just saw that Apple iTunes went DRM free earlier this year..

billdotson
August 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
That amazes me. Apple, the company who had iTunes music locked in so it could only be played on the computer and your iPod/iPhone (unless you burn a number of CDs before it was limited) has gotten rid of DRM. Apparently there are now infinite CD burns and the files can play on many different portable players. I never would have thought this would have happened. Really, Apple made so much money off the iTunes/iPod thing, why would they stop?

Next thing you know they'll be letting OS X run on normal PCs..

Viva
August 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Simple, DRM of any kind doesn't work.

Matthewthegreat
August 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Please note that it is only the music that went DRM-free. Everything else in their store still has DRM.

spoons
August 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Careful, now. Don't be too hasty. ;)

nobodysbusiness
August 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
When they started going DRM-free, I went and bought a bunch of music from them, in large part because I wanted to show my support for the destruction of DRM. Now if only I could get the iTunes store to work with Wine...

Matthewthegreat
August 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Not going to happen unless someone hits them with a anti-trust lawsuit...

aysiu
August 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
When they started going DRM-free, I went and bought a bunch of music from them, in large part because I wanted to show my support for the destruction of DRM. Now if only I could get the iTunes store to work with Wine...
I just buy from the Amazon MP3 store. It's always been DRM-free, as far as I can tell. It also has a native Linux client (unlike iTunes).

Matthewthegreat
August 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
i just buy from the amazon mp3 store. It's always been drm-free, as far as i can tell. It also has a native linux client (unlike itunes).

+1

Incense
August 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I just buy from the Amazon MP3 store. It's always been DRM-free, as far as I can tell. It also has a native Linux client (unlike iTunes).

+2. I think it's better to support a company who supports you (ie Linux desktop client). I don't ever see apple releasing a Linux port of iTunes. I wouldn't be surprised if they actively make sure it doesn't work in wine.

hanzomon4
August 5th, 2009, 10:10 PM
That amazes me. Apple, the company who had iTunes music locked in so it could only be played on the computer and your iPod/iPhone (unless you burn a number of CDs before it was limited) has gotten rid of DRM. Apparently there are now infinite CD burns and the files can play on many different portable players. I never would have thought this would have happened. Really, Apple made so much money off the iTunes/iPod thing, why would they stop?

Easy... Amazon

Higher quality, cheaper, no DRM and also the EU was going to force them to let other players use their fairplay drm

SuperSonic4
August 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM

I don't see what the issue with a zip or rar file is, much better than their crappy 32 bit manager only available on 4 distro families

Anyway, I've not downloaded music in any way for a while now - new releases are **** and I have all the good stuff on cd from various places like bargain bins XD

blur xc
August 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM

I could've swore I saw a company selling pre-built pc's w/ mac osx preinstalled on them online a while ago... I wish I could remember their name...

BM

MasterNetra
August 5th, 2009, 11:23 PM

They don't have to let them, some already have them running on a normal PC ^.^

Rozzalyn
August 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I was wondering, so I bought the 1st gen Iphone off my friend, I have a Tracfone now, it does run on the same network as AT&T, I'm wondering 1- will the coverage be the same? 2- what programs will I be able to use to upload music on/from? 3- will my sim card work

(Side note: I plan on jailbreaking and then unlocking it)

Has anyone else been able to successfully have an Iphone on a prepaid carrier?

Hobgoblin
August 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Please note that it is only the music that went DRM-free. Everything else in their store still has DRM.

It's only some of the music which is available DRM free, and at an extra cost.