PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I change an icon's name (label) in KDE?

rewyllys
August 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
My question is: How I can change the name, or label, that appears below an icon on my KDE desktop?

Reason for question: I have several Firefox icons on my desktop, each one of which is pre-configured to on a specific URL. For example, I click on one icon to open the Ubuntu Forums, another to open Google, a third to open Wikipedia, a fourth to open my bank account, and so on. I know how to arrange that a particular icon will open a specific URL. But in order to identify the various icons easily, I need to be able to label them according to their target URLs, rather than having them all named Firefox, as they are at present.

Notes:
1. Currently, I'm using KDE 4.2.4 in Kubuntu 9.04, so I'd like to know how to make such changes in either 4.2.4 or 4.3. {If it's easy [easier?] to do in 4.3, I'll happily wait till 4.3 becomes available in the Ubuntu repositories.)
2. Yes, bookmarks are an alternative, but clicking on individual icons is faster, so I'd like to get to a desired URL by icon-clicking rather than via bookmarks--if it's possible to label the icons individually.

Thanks in advance for your help.

smsmith
August 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Have you tried selecting the icon and then hitting F2? Or right clicking it to see if there is a "Rename" option in the menu?

I don't use the option for icons on the desktop in KDE4, I prefer a clean desktop. But I'd imagine renaming the file is the same whether it be in a standard "folder" or shown on the desktop.