PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty & intel graphics, are there still problems?

Sashin
August 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking of buying a particular laptop from acer that seems to have all the necessary specs, however it uses a graphics card called:

Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 4500MHD

I've heard there has been problems with Intel Graphics and Jaunty, are these problems major and are they easy to fix. Do I need to use terminal alot or is it as simple as updating?

Will the problem still be in karmic?

Nevon
August 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't think you're going to have any problems to the point where you'll be left without any video. However, the Intel video drivers really do suck, so no hardcore gaming for you. You might also have problems playing back full HD, though that also depends on your CPU.

Sashin
August 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
What about when I play normal video, or use compiz extensively (the cube, wobbly windows, expo etc. Will there be a noticeable difference between this and normal computers, the processing power is also pretty low, 1.6Ghz but it has 4GB of DDR3 ram.

Will photoshop and gimp run well?

barnex
August 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My intel gma 950 runs gimp nicely. Compiz is very fast, too. Only the desktop effects onder kde 4.2 are slow, but this is a know issue. Under gnome or xfce I have no problems with compiz.
I guess as long as you don't want to game too much, intel graphics are in general OK.

Ekeluo
August 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Desktop effects under kde should be fine in 4.3. Otherwise Karmic will/should fix most current intel graphics problems. If you do install jaunty and encounter problems, do not hesitate to return here. Have a look around as your problem might already be solved. Cheers!

Nevon
August 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
What about when I play normal video, or use compiz extensively (the cube, wobbly windows, expo etc. Will there be a noticeable difference between this and normal computers, the processing power is also pretty low, 1.6Ghz but it has 4GB of DDR3 ram.

Will photoshop and gimp run well?

Playing normal video and using Compiz is not a problem. Photoshop and Gimp will also work well. Advanced rendering might take a while, but that's too expect with a laptop.

Ekeluo
August 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I don't think you're going to have any problems to the point where you'll be left without any video. However, the Intel video drivers really do suck, so no hardcore gaming for you. You might also have problems playing back full HD, though that also depends on your CPU.
Actually, I think the drivers deliver the capability of the hardware, it's the hardware that prevents you from hardcore gaming.

stwschool
August 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
My experience with Intel hardware is that performance is lower in Linux than Windows. For instance, World Of Goo native runs like a slug on valium, compared to the smooth Windows experience. It's just poor drivers to be honest, though they are very stable.

SunnyRabbiera
August 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
My experience with Intel hardware is that performance is lower in Linux than Windows. For instance, World Of Goo native runs like a slug on valium, compared to the smooth Windows experience. It's just poor drivers to be honest, though they are very stable.

Not in my case, at leasrt in releases before Jaunty

checoimg
August 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm using a Acer laptop and Gimp works fine.

praveesh
August 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Which games are you all playing(and the resolution at which the games are being played)? I have an nvidia graphics card(geforce 7300gs) and I don't find any performance difference with the computer of my friend having an intel graphics media accelerator 950 while gaming. I have a monitor of resolution 1440x900 60 hz

Nevon
August 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Actually, I think the drivers deliver the capability of the hardware, it's the hardware that prevents you from hardcore gaming.

While the intel chip I have is definitely not made for hardcore gaming, I can run Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mount & Blade, Swat 4, etc. In Windows. In Linux, I can barely watch HD video. So yes, the drivers do suck.

HoKaze
August 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
In my experience with Ubuntu 9.04 (and deriatives) on my Acer laptop I've had some minor difficulties with some specific games but otherwise video is fine and even with some serious over the top compiz combinations it's ran fine. Some (mostly windows) games have run pretty poorly and chances are the laptop WILL get hot, very hot, if you plan on gaming for longer than an hour, so your lap may burn a bit >.<