PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Macbook beeps on Restart

Brightbelt
August 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hi,
I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Macbook and I have 2 issues:

1) If I'm in Ubuntu and do a computer restart, my Macbook starts beeping during the restart phase. It doesn't stop on it's own so I have to manually shut it down. Then I can boot up and everything seems fine at that point.

This is very disconcerting so I'd really like to have this solved....

2) I have no sound. So I've tried the traditional sound fix, which is:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3

And I still have no sound, so I'm at a loss there.
I really appreciate any help or pointers on these. Many Thanks, Frank B.

llamabr
August 5th, 2009, 02:44 PM
regarding number 1, do you just want the beeping to stop, or are you saying it won't reboot at all?

I hate that loud beep. You can disable it by:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=717169

Brightbelt
August 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for responding Llamabr - actually you're right. It won't reboot either, so I guess that's a real problem.

I will try disabling the beep in the meantime through the instructions given in your link there. Many Thanks for that.

So I guess I do have a rebooting problem.

Thanks, Frank B.

crocowhile
August 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
2) I have no sound. So I've tried the traditional sound fix, which is:
What model of MBP do you have? For the new ones there's a new fix - need to recompile the kernel module.

Brightbelt
August 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Crocowhile,
Thanks for responding. I have the newest model of the 13" Macbook, not a Macbook pro. I hope that helps. Thanks, Frank

crocowhile
August 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Crocowhile,
Thanks for responding. I have the newest model of the 13" Macbook, not a Macbook pro. I hope that helps. Thanks, Frank

Then follow this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7627817&postcount=98). It will work.

Brightbelt
August 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well Crocowhile, I did all of it and I still have no sound, despite the fact that I think it all went through correctly. I did have to do the last lines of code twice. I might have forgotten to enter my password on the first round. Anyways, I rebooted and tried again and everything seemed to compile like it should.

And I restarted and checked for muted channels etc. Still no sound.

I appreciate the help and I'm open to more ideas I guess.

Thanks, Frank B.

crocowhile
August 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi Frank,
could you please run the following command?

sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name

If by newest 13" you mean the 5,5 then that way should really work. Maybe the newest alsa module snapshot has some trouble? In that case I could upload mine somewhere.

Brightbelt
August 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Yes Crocowhile, I got this when I ran your command:

MacBook5,1

Brightbelt
August 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Sorry, but *Bump*

fyz
August 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I got the same problem of rebooting. I can have sound from headphone only, but NOT from internal speaker.
My machine is 'iMac9,1'. Try everyting, still no luck to fix the rebooting and no sound problem.

Brightbelt
September 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I finally fixed my sound - go to the Community Documentation here --->
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook5-1/Jaunty

It's down towards the bottom.

Tompalaz
September 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Rebooting problem solved for me since 2.6.30 kernel.

Brightbelt
September 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I thought I had found a fix for my boot problem on here from another post/thread doing a grub fix like this using the LiveCD:

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hd0,x)
setup (hd0,x)

But it didn't fix the boot issue and also, I now have 2 tuxes at the rEFIt boot menu from which to choose.

I appreciate any help on this for sure. Many Thanks to everyone so far for your input,...Frank B.

Brightbelt
September 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Chynna16, if there was something you did to solve your boot problem, could you share it with us?

Perhaps it solved itself somehow, if that's what you meant? Thanks, Frank B. [Chynna16 has since deleted his/her post]