PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] The most ambiguous two lines I've ever read in a wiki!

cruising
August 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Look at these two lines and tell me what they REALLY mean! Cause everything I tried has NOT worked for me!

<em>This problem can easily be resolved, if you first choose "don't use" for the partition overwriting the /usr option and second choose to use the partition as new world partition.</em>

Here's the link to the wiki I got the info from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

I keep getting the same issue that this solution was supposed to address, EVERYTIME. I could also use some advice on what other Ubuntu distro (or other linux ones) to use without such problems; I just want to install linux and get to work! Is that too much to ask for, especially after you've done everything by the book?

I need to return the laptop to my friend and ...
I AM AS DESPERATE AS ONE CAN GET!!!

Thanks!

llamabr
August 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I don't see the ambiguity, actually.

Anyway, for my ppc ibook, I run debian. They still support the ppc architecture, which ubuntu does not.

rjcalifornia
August 7th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Don't use Debian. Use Kubuntu 7.10 :)

JOHNNYG713
August 7th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi I have installed ubuntu on many a ppc with little to no problems, I start with ubuntu 8.04 because it runs well live and install from that cd, then upgrade from there, To 8.10 or 9.04 depends on what is wanted at the end, and the machine. And yes those lines are like a dog chasing it s tail, I find a lot of that type of "Teckie" double talk in my searches, for ubuntu knowledge :D good luck !

cruising
April 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I finally figured it out:

Well, in your journey through the installation of Ubuntu on your iBook G4, you get to the partitioning window, select the "/usr" partition (if it already exists), over-write it by selecting it, clicking on "Change ..." and choosing "do not use this partition" then you select that same partition you just made to "not be used" and format it as a "new world partition."

Just so this thread does not go unsolved. It is now officially SOLVED!

Thanks everyone for helping out!

lisati
April 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thread closed, may it rest in pieces.