PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu forums should have chat function

Tclarkie
August 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I think Ubuntu forums should have chat function built in to talk to friends
What to u think

JillSwift
August 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I think that's how feature creep begins.

hanzomon4
August 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
just click on a users IM icon... I have almost all of them

Sinkingships7
August 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I think providing your <insert favorite protocol> IM alias to the ones you want to talk to, or listing it in your profile, is good enough. Also, if it ever took off, it'd be hell on the servers. They couldn't even handle the "Thanks" feature, so I doubt real-time chat is currently possible.

yabbadabbadont
August 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I think it has too much crap already. Right now it is trying to be facebook-light or some such with all the "friends" and "groups" and other junk.

starcannon
August 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hop onto Xchat and jump into the ubuntu irc chat. :)

hellmet
August 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
This is mainly a support forum and less of a social network. Forums like Community cafe provide sufficient breathing space for those seeking relief from all the tech threads.

Blu Fox
August 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM
just click on a users IM icon... I have almost all of them

So you have thousands of friends on your IM account? Wicked

Nevon
August 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Just use IRC. However, I do think they should somehow promote the IRC channel and provide guides for newbies on how to connect to it.

schauerlich
August 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
No, it really shouldn't.

t0p
August 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I say "No" to chat! There are already plenty of ways to communicate with your "friends". Ubuntu Forums should continue to concentrate on its core strengths - ie being a tech support forum; it has a little community fluff (like the Cafe) kicking round on the fringes, and that's plenty.

slakkie
August 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
That's called irc: irc.freenode.org #ubuntu :)

Katalog
August 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Or maybe Pidgin should have an Ubuntu Forums chat plugin.

Tibuda
August 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That's called irc: irc.freenode.org #ubuntu :)
We should not use #ubuntu for chatting:

#ubuntu is the Ubuntu support channel, for all Ubuntu-related support questions. Please use #ubuntu-offtopic for other topics. Thanks!

slakkie
August 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
We should not use #ubuntu for chatting:

I know, but chatting can be chatting about tech support (#ubuntu) or offtopic (#ubuntu-offtopic). Nobody said it was only offtopic chatting ;)

Tibuda
August 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I know, but chatting can be chatting about tech support (#ubuntu) or offtopic (#ubuntu-offtopic). Nobody said it was only offtopic chatting ;)

This is true, but the OP said "talk to friends", so I don't think the chat feature he wants is for support.

slakkie
August 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Good point. He should use irc, or any IM to chat with friends.

Jim!
August 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
We already have enough stalkers on Ubuntu Forums as it is.. Just imagine what a chat function could do to this place.

schauerlich
August 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
There's also #ubuntuforums, but HymnToLife has made it quite clear that there is to be no joking.

Regenweald
August 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
but first, lets appoint about 200 more forum mods. We don't have the manpower to handle the COC in instant messaging.

chris4585
August 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hop onto Xchat and jump into the ubuntu irc chat. :)

eh, I think it would be a better idea if people just joined #ubuntuforums or ##club-ubuntu or #ubuntu-offtopic rather then #ubuntu....

Wiebelhaus
August 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I like it , I'd support this action , but yo! That's why we have like 50 IRC channels for everything you could imagine.

And lord have mercy have you seen the Forums channel? It's like 1500 people at slow times. haha.

HappinessNow
August 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I think Ubuntu forums should have chat function built in to talk to friends
What to u thinkI think, Not!

Viva
August 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I agree, this is one of the reasons windows is better than ubuntu;)

keiichidono
August 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
no, it really shouldn't.

qft.

halovivek
August 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
we don't want chat. let the forum speak more.