PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install Java 6, v.15 with Synaptic Pkg Mgr?

TimDaniels
August 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have Ubuntu 8.04. How can I tell Synaptic Package Manager via its GUI to install the runtime engine for Java 6, v.15 (the latest version)?

After that is done, how do I tell Firefox and Opera browsers where to find the Java runtime?

In Synaptic Package Manager GUI, what is the button labled "S" for?

Thanks.
*TimDaniels*

jerrrys
August 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
sun java plugin in synaptic, have you installed it?

TimDaniels
August 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
In fiddling with Synaptic Package Manager, I clicked the box to green for "java-common", described as "Base of all java packages" and clicked "Apply", and something was downloaded and installed. Many other java-associated packages are listed, but none have a green box. The only package having "plugin" in its name is "java-gcj-compat-plugin", and its box is not green.

BTW, what does the "S" in the first column of the package section stand for, and does clicking it do?

*TimDaniels*

jerrrys
August 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
SUN java plugin in synaptic, look under sun...

and as far as that S; don't know what it is or what its for, so i clicked on it and now seem to show no packages installed...think i did a bad thing...again...

update...clicking on the S is the same as Status>Installed....

TimDaniels
August 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I forgot that Java might still be listed under "Sun". I figured it was its own product by now, especially since Oracle bought out Sun. I clicked the SunJava6-plugin box to green, clicked Apply, and Java 6, v. 14 installed. And my Opera and Firefox browsers have it listed as a plug-in.

And thanks for telling me what the "S" is for.

*TimDaniels*