PDA

View Full Version : LED or Krypton/regular bulb flashlights?

sydbat
August 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I am looking for a new flashlight. The old ones I have are, well, old and not very bright (just like their owner!:P). Both are small, one is regular bulb and the other is an LED. They both produce about the same light, but are insufficient.

I want to buy a new Maglight 3 or 4 D Cell flashlight, but cannot figure out if it should be the regular old fashioned bulb or an LED.

Has anyone here used this type of flashlight, with either a bulb or LED? If so, which one produces more light?

Thanks.

Biochem
August 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I've had the same 3D-cell maglite for more than 10 years. it's a bulky, sturdy son of a b?tch. The light output is very good and the focussing beam is a nice option. NOT a very good hammer though, the aluminium is too soft and get dented (OK I admit I'm not kind with it)

When I got it, there was no led model available, I have the regular bulb and I'm happy with it's performance. However, I'm a big fan of led, better battery life and won't burn out. I got a 1W led adapter for my 2AA miniMag and I'm impressed with the brightness, it's comparable to the standard bulb in a less yellowish tint.

So between regular bulb and led, I would go with the led. Krypton bulb are more expensive but brighter and wast batteries. Do you really need that kind of power? Personnaly I'don't think it's worth it but it probably depends on what's your intended use.

JillSwift
August 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Go LED, especially if it's a Gen 3. Those things are mind-bogglingly bright, the LED lasts and lasts, the battery life is vastly extended too.

But, in my opinion the coolest thing about LED light is that it's bluer. It really makes it easier to see for someone like me whose eyes are less than well suited for yellow light.

(14 years of working at night in a setting where turning on the lights is a no-no makes one very familiar with flashlights :D )

sydbat
August 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.

@JillSwift - Yeah, I like the different colour light too. Easier on the eyes, yet seems to provide 'more' light.

@Biochem - "Do you really need that kind of power?" Yes. It is for specific areas where there is absolutely no light available. I borrowed a friends 3D Maglite once (I think it was the standard bulb) and really liked the brightness of it and the distance it light up.

I wonder if the 3 watt LED is equal to, or brighter than, the "standard" bulb that comes with the 3d flashlight?

Mighty_Joe
August 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm a mere flashlight "user". If you want flashlight "power users", check out Candlepower Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/) for the true hand-held light geeks.

sydbat
August 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm a mere flashlight "user". If you want flashlight "power users", check out Candlepower Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/) for the true hand-held light geeks.Thanks, I'll check it out.

richg
August 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
LED seems to be the best. I have had a LED flashlight with super bright LED's in my truck for five years. It has a crank handle to recharge the flash light. I believe it uses a super capacitor for storage of power. Never worry about batteries.

I have a ball cap with a couple super bright LED's in the hat brim. Very nice at night when taking out the trash, shoveling snow in the winter, walking the dog at night, etc. Where did I drop my keys? My area has little outside street lighting.

Rich