PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get purge

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM
What does apt-get purge do? I know apt-get remove, removes an application, but what does apt-get purge do? Thanks :)

pedro3005
August 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Completely removes an application. Not sure of the difference between purge and remove, maybe someone can enlighten us.

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I believe it removes the files too. I removed a game via apt-get remove but the config files and all the game files were still there. I believe apt-get purge removes all those files. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

philcamlin
August 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I believe it removes the files too. I removed a game via apt-get remove but the config files and all the game files were still there. I believe apt-get purge removes all those files. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

yes your right purge removes the config files and the whole application etc while remove just remove the application :popcorn:

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 04:58 AM
yes your right purge removes the config files and the whole application etc while remove just remove the application :popcorn:

Ok. Thanks for the help! That solves my question :D

Wataru8675
August 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
So if you were to use apt-get purge on a program like Wine...would it remove Wine and everything that runs on Wine (i.e. webcam software, several games, Quicktime, etc.)?

philcamlin
August 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
So if you were to use apt-get purge on a program like Wine...would it remove Wine and everything that runs on Wine (i.e. webcam software, several games, Quicktime, etc.)?i believe so :popcorn:

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM
i believe so :popcorn:

Thanks everyone! :D

credobyte
August 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM
So if you were to use apt-get purge on a program like Wine...would it remove Wine and everything that runs on Wine (i.e. webcam software, several games, Quicktime, etc.)?

Personally, purge didn't worked for Wine ( a few custom locations of wine files can be found at http://www.nyutech.com/2009/03/how-to-install-and-completely-remove.html ).

bodhi.zazen
August 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
From : http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man8/apt-get.8.html

purge
purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and
purged (any configuration files are deleted too).

In English this means the config files in /etc are removed, but the config files in $HOME are not. So in the case of wine , ~/.wine would not be removed by apt-get --purge .

In practice not everything is completely purged with the purge option. The data in a data base (postgresql / mysql) is not removed for example.

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
From : http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man8/apt-get.8.html

In English this means the config files in /etc are removed, but the config files in $HOME are not. So in the case of wine , ~/.wine would not be removed by apt-get --purge .

In practice not everything is completely purged with the purge option. The data in a data base (postgresql / mysql) is not removed for example.

Thank you Bodhi, that explains everything to me. Thanks so much everyone! :)