PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB flash Drive and Ubuntu

bathini
August 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Friends

I have a laptop with Windows Vista which died out suddenly. I suspect its the power supply. The battery is not working and the laptop would not turn on. I removed the hard disk from my laptop and tried on another laptop(both laptops are toshiba's but different models).As it tries to boot it asks for system restore and then it reboots.This did not work.

I am thinking of installing Ubuntu on a usb flash drive (2gb). How would I go about that? Is this a good idea? After I install ubuntu, I plan to move all my important files from the hard disk and then install ubuntu full blown on the hard disk. Thanks

Bathini

ptn107
August 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM
In Ubuntu 9.04: System -> Administration -> USB Startup Disk Creator

bathini
August 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
In Ubuntu 9.04: System -> Administration -> USB Startup Disk Creator

Thanks but the problem I have is that ubuntu is not installed. As I speak I am downloading the ISO file and will try to figure out how to install ubuntu

Mighty_Joe
August 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
The functionality ptn107 refers to is part of the Live CD, so you can use it before installing Ubuntu.
I did a full install of Ubuntu to a flash drive, but it takes more than 2Gb. There's a topic here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193680) which discusses the different ways to install Ubuntu to a USB flash drive including the instructions I used to configure mine.