PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Calendar - Infinity?

TheShader
August 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hello It's really a useless topic, after I saw that 2012 doomsday prediction thing claiming that Mayan calendar ends in 2012, I suddenly remembered that Windows XP calendar ends in 2099. I know the Ubuntu calendar goes further than 2099, but does it end? I mean is it something infinitive?

If so, Mayans and other Americans will die in 2012, Windows users will die in 2099, and Linux users will never die? :popcorn:

cmay
August 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
actually a interesting subject. i think the reason is that the world as the mayans knew it and could relate to may ended in 2012. most users of windows xp will not live to see the year 3012 for instance and therefor no need to have a calender that goes that far.
the people who use ubuntu also have kids and maybe needs plan further ahead.

Technoviking
August 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
The cal program goes to Year 5875706. Be sure to mark that in your calendar.

T-V

benj1
August 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
cal goes to the year 5,875,706

i suspect the limitation is to do with the size limits of ints

TheShader
August 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hmm thanks a lot poeple it was good to learn that. :)

sydbat
August 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM

T-VSo...just to hijack this "useless" thread completely...what do you think the year 5875706 will be like?
What version of Ubuntu will be available for download?
Will there still be downloading?
Will there finally be an end to all the Microsoft bashing and Linux FUD?
And what about Jennifer...?

benj1
August 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
well considering humans only arrived 2 million years ago.

we might not even exist, we might have evolved into another species (or killed our selves).
maybe theyll all be annoyed because cal doesnt work anymore

EDIT jennifer who ?

JillSwift
August 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The Mayan calendare does not actually end in 2012. It's the end of a cycle, you know like time to buy a new Mayan scantly-clad-girls-draped-on-cars calendar for the 13th Bak'tun.

The Mayan calendar breaks down like so:

One Bak'tun is 20 K'atun.
One K'atun is 20 Tun.
One Tun is 18 Winal.
One Winal is 20 K'in.
One K'in is 1 day.

So one Bak'tun is 144,000 days, or about 394.5 years. We've seen 12 Bak'tun since the Mayan calendar "started", in 2012 starts the 13th.

sydbat
August 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
jennifer who ?I have no idea, but remember shows back in the 60's where they would try to entice you to come back the following day/week and see what happens - "same Bat-channel, same Bat-time"...except in soap opera's of the day it was always about some character left hanging (yes, I remember things like that before school age and my mother's daytime viewing habits)...*insert shuddering smiley here*

swoll1980
August 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM

T-V

Some day, about 5,873,000 years from now, some future tribe will find the cal program, and say it predicts the end of the world.

Tipped OuT
August 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Some day, about 5,873,000 years from now, some future tribe will find the cal program, and say it predicts the end of the world.

So true. *sigh*

Delever
August 5th, 2009, 02:42 AM
If only we could calculate some comet impact and adjust end of calendar accordingly - that would be best calendar prank for some future generation!

windows-killer
August 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
EDIT jennifer who ?

Aniston?

coldReactive
August 5th, 2009, 02:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Tipped OuT
August 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Woah! Is this real?

Jimleko211
August 5th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Yeah it's real, but it only affects 32-bit distros. Us 64 bit'ers got a few more billion years to go :D

sydbat
August 5th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Yeah it's real, but it only affects 32-bit distros. Us 64 bit'ers got a few more billion years to go :DYay for us!!

SamJosRob
August 5th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah it's real, but it only affects 32-bit distros. Us 64 bit'ers got a few more billion years to go :D

Hopefully by then 64 bit will be more common than 32 bit distros.

lisati
August 5th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Why a signed integer to represent a count from "day zero"? (Thinks for a moment, comes up with a possibility of doing date calculations relating to time before "day zero")

Perhaps a workaround might involve using unsigned integers but that could mess with compatibility with a small number of situations......

mobilediesel
August 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM
The Mayan calendare does not actually end in 2012. It's the end of a cycle, you know like time to buy a new Mayan scantly-clad-girls-draped-on-cars calendar for the 13th Bak'tun.

The Mayan calendar breaks down like so:

One Bak'tun is 20 K'atun.
One K'atun is 20 Tun.
One Tun is 18 Winal.
One Winal is 20 K'in.
One K'in is 1 day.

So one Bak'tun is 144,000 days, or about 394.5 years. We've seen 12 Bak'tun since the Mayan calendar "started", in 2012 starts the 13th.

I've seen that info before and didn't bookmark it. Thank you for posting that! Do you have the source for where you found it?

coldReactive
August 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Don't forget netbooks. They'll never be 64-bit.

JillSwift
August 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've seen that info before and didn't bookmark it. Thank you for posting that! Do you have the source for where you found it?
I got it from a book on my shelves (Mayan Calendar Systems by Cyrus Thomas). But Wikipedia has the same basic info on the long-count calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count).

benj1
August 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Don't forget netbooks. They'll never be 64-bit.

why not ???

Tipped OuT
August 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
why not ???

+1

Yeah, why not? As technology progresses, everything will be 64 bit, no more 32 bit. Then we'll see the day when everything is 86 bit, etc.

coldReactive
August 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
+1

Yeah, why not? As technology progresses, everything will be 64 bit, no more 32 bit. Then we'll see the day when everything is 86 bit, etc.

Netbooks don't need to be 64-bit. They're made for surfing the net, not word processing or gaming or anything intensive.

mcduck
August 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Perhaps a workaround might involve using unsigned integers but that could mess with compatibility with a small number of situations......
Yes, who'd need to work with dates previous to 1.1.1970 anyway.. ;)

mobilediesel
August 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I got it from a book on my shelves (Mayan Calendar Systems by Cyrus Thomas). But Wikipedia has the same basic info on the long-count calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count).

Thanks for that! I should have known it would be on Wikipedia.

benj1
August 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Netbooks don't need to be 64-bit. They're made for surfing the net, not word processing or gaming or anything intensive.

computers dont need to be 64 bit, everybody got along just fine with 16 bit computers, for that matter they dont need 100+gb hard drives but they do.

im sure theyll become 64 bit if simply for the fact that only one lot of apps need to be maintained by software producers, and so they can advertise 'now with 64 bit !'.

JillSwift
August 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for that! I should have known it would be on Wikipedia.
Everything is on Wikipedia! :D

Even misinformation. #-o

Tipped OuT
August 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
computers dont need to be 64 bit, everybody got along just fine with 16 bit computers, for that matter they dont need 100+gb hard drives but they do.

im sure theyll become 64 bit if simply for the fact that only one lot of apps need to be maintained by software producers, and so they can advertise 'now with 64 bit !'.

Once again, +1

mobilediesel
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Everything is on Wikipedia! :D

Even misinformation. #-o

Very, very true!

I notice that, with the exception of Aspie, your signature fairly well describes me, too!

There's nothing like being 35 and still reading numbers wrong on occasion.

ghindo
August 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
It's the end of a cycle, you know like time to buy a new Mayan scantly-clad-girls-draped-on-cars calendar for the 13th Bak'tun.My Bak'tun calendars have pictures of puppies.

pizza-is-good
August 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM

Maybe we'll have crazy things like 128 bit and maybe Gigabit.

Just dreaming....

JillSwift
August 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Very, very true!

I notice that, with the exception of Aspie, your signature fairly well describes me, too!

There's nothing like being 35 and still reading numbers wrong on occasion.
Does that mean you might actually be 53? ;) :D

tom66
August 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM
A 32-bit signed int can store 2^31-1 as its upper maximum. So cal should be able to count up to 1/365th this value, or the date/time: October 3rd, 5,883,512 at precisely 21:45:51. Theoretically, not taking into account leap years and seconds...

mobilediesel
August 6th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Does that mean you might actually be 53? ;) :D

Ha! not yet. With any luck I'll make it that far. My wife told me that I'll be dyeing my hair before then since my dad's hair was totally white by the time he reached 50. I started getting a few gray hairs when I was about 23.

otz070
August 6th, 2009, 01:44 AM
If only we could calculate some comet impact and adjust end of calendar accordingly - that would be best calendar prank for some future generation!

why not this? 1950 DA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(29075)_1950_DA)

TheShader
August 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Well I disagree with hard drives... One day 100gb will not be enough, I mean when internet speed increases the hard drive capacity you need increases too. You download more and more.

I personally never used a 64 bit PC and I'm happy with it. 32 bit is enough for me.

arcdrag
August 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Maybe we'll have crazy things like 128 bit and maybe Gigabit.

Just dreaming....

Personally, I find it hard that humans would ever need more than 64bit personal computers. I mean, 64 bits could theoretically support up to 16 exabytes of ram.

Barrucadu
August 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I personally never used a 64 bit PC and I'm happy with it. 32 bit is enough for me.
I bet you won't be saying that in 2038 ;)

Personally, I find it hard that humans would ever need more than 64bit personal computers. I mean, 64 bits could theoretically support up to 16 exabytes of ram.

But number crunching is faster on higher bit processors, so that'll always be a motivation to improve.

arcdrag
August 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM

It doesn't matter if they need to be 64-bit. Eventually, it will not be cost effective to run a separate assembly line that makes 32 bit chipsets when 64bit chipsets cost the same to make. Then, the company owner's will have to make the choice to keep creating 32 bit netbooks, or crank out netbooks with far more processing power for the same price.

Computer hardware companies don't sell products based on what is needed, they sell products that are either more powerful than their competitors, or cheaper.

arcdrag
August 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I bet you won't be saying that in 2038 ;)

I kinda doubt the next version of Windows (Windows 8?) will even release a 32 bit version.

Tipped OuT
August 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I kinda doubt the next version of Windows (Windows 8?) will even release a 32 bit version.

I think they will... depending on when they release it. If it's like 10 years from now (lol), then yeah, no 32 bit version.

benj1
August 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Well I disagree with hard drives... One day 100gb will not be enough, I mean when internet speed increases the hard drive capacity you need increases too. You download more and more.

i meant to say netbooks (but didn't) theyre supposed to be for accessing data from 'the cloud' tm so only need local storage for an os not 100gb hard drives.
i also disagree with your disagreement (?!), if internet speeds increase there will be less need for local storage not more. in days of yore if you had a 56k modem you would download a song or video to watch it, now you can stream it.
also you seem to be contradicting yourself, on the one hand saying youre happy with 32bit, on the other saying memory requirements are increasing, 32bit acrchitectures can only adress 4gb ram and have problems efficiently dealing with files larger than 4gb, so if as you say we all end up downloading huge files (how big would a hd movie file be ?) 64bit would be preferable.