PDA

View Full Version : Content Management Systems for the Web

altonbr
August 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm a web developer and have been for over four years. I've tried multiple CMSes (content management systems) for my website and I haven't found a single one that "just works", especially the way I want it to.

Wordpress is too much like a blog
Joomla is too complex and doesn't allow for developing if need be
MediaWiki doesn't have all the features of a CMS that I need or want

So I'm currently going to look at Plone. I just wanted to hear what everyone else thinks and uses personally.

I'm looking for a CMS that is focused on pages (home page, contact page, individual pages (not a blog)) and documents (if I upload 50-60 documents, I need to be able to list them all on a page and have the list automatically updated every time I upload a releated document). Addtionally, it needs to be easy to theme. Wordpress is much easier than Joomla and MediaWiki in this case.

Viva
August 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You did not mention Drupal, did you try it?

a3uge
August 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Well I had the same problem years back. I felt I couldn't do enough with the html I knew, so I tried to use Joomla. Could not get the pages how I wanted, so I dug in and really practiced and started developing my own websites. For a website with static pages, developing your own site should not be very difficult at all. You can google "free css templates" or "free css layouts" and can tweak things from there if you aren't at all familiar with css.

I know I didn't really answer your question at all, but knowing php, html, and css in depth can be real satisfying in terms of getting a website to look and perform the way you want. But as for uploading the documents and displaying them as a list, it may be easy to make a protected page with an upload form, and save the file in a database every time you upload, and using php, you can display that list.

kellemes
August 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Maybe you've visited already but this list (http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS%20/%20Portals) is very informative when searching for a cms.

Personally I enjoy using Drupal, nothing you cannot do with it, but it's rather complex.

Have you looked at glfusion (http://www.glfusion.org/)?
Very very easy to setup, and great support from the developers.

altonbr
August 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
You did not mention Drupal, did you try it?

Drupal I never used for a production website, but I found it very much like Joomla -- very plugin oriented, very unmanageable and very hard to get it just the way I want it.

Well I had the same problem years back. I felt I couldn't do enough with the html I knew, so I tried to use Joomla. Could not get the pages how I wanted, so I dug in and really practiced and started developing my own websites. For a website with static pages, developing your own site should not be very difficult at all. You can google "free css templates" or "free css layouts" and can tweak things from there if you aren't at all familiar with css.

I know I didn't really answer your question at all, but knowing php, html, and css in depth can be real satisfying in terms of getting a website to look and perform the way you want. But as for uploading the documents and displaying them as a list, it may be easy to make a protected page with an upload form, and save the file in a database every time you upload, and using php, you can display that list.

I've been programming for a number of years, so this is not the problem. The problem is I don't have time to continuously edit CMSes to get them just the way I want for each website. They usually take a considerable amount of work and hacking. I also don't have time to develop one on my own of course; keeping up with security is a full-time job.

Maybe you've visited already but this list (http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS%20/%20Portals) is very informative when searching for a cms.

Personally I enjoy using Drupal, nothing you cannot do with it, but it's rather complex.

Have you looked at glfusion (http://www.glfusion.org/)?
Very very easy to setup, and great support from the developers.

I'll take a look, thanks.

thisllub
August 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Joomla is too complex and doesn't allow for developing if need be

Serious?
All of the php is in the directory structure.
It took me less that 30 minutes to work out how to fix a problem with a plugin and about 2 hours to write one of my own.

Whatever system you decide on you will have to take some time to learn it.
Joomla might not be the best but it is common enough to be worthwhile for me to know.