PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Considering Toshiba Laptop for Dual-Boot Ubuntu

oceanfirehawk
August 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hello all,

I am considering getting a Toshiba laptop with the following video card:

ATI Mobility Radeon™ H4570 with 512MB DDR3 discrete graphics plus up to 255MB shared memory using ATI HyperMemory™ technology

Will this card work with Ubuntu. I really want to play 3-d games on Ubuntu!

The laptop is the: Satellite A500-ST6621

Does anyone know if Ubuntu will be compatible?

Thanks,
jake

omarabdelhaleem
August 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527, which is similar in terms of hardware. I'd advise against getting a Toshiba because, although it works well with Ubuntu distros in most respects, it also uses a proprietary wireless card that may present some problems for you -- as it sometimes does for me. For instance, sometimes the built-in wireless card interfaces well with the computer and the net, while at other times it won't connect, will disconnect, and occasionally will freeze up the entire computer. I'm not the tech guy, so I'm not certain why, but you'll see on the forum that there are persistent problems with the Toshiba hardware among Ubuntu users. (When I received this computer as a gift I was still a Windows person, but of course we know better now. . .).

You may want to ask others at the Forum about computers that are open-source (i.e., transparent) about their hardware/drivers/etc., because such computers have code that the Ubuntu developers can test, tweak, and make sure works well with Ubuntu. See what they recommend, since such hardware won't present any problems with Ubuntu.

Good luck!