PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I add a close button on the window list?

deepdeep
August 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone, I'm really new to Ubuntu, please be kind as to help me solve this "problem".

I want a close button on each window lists just like the tabs of Firefox do. The reason why I want to do this is that I'm a Mac user, I don't prefer using the right click since my Macbook has only one giant button.

I see the concept is being used on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, so there must be a way or two to do so, right?

I did google for similar articles but found no nothing...

Any command will be appriciated!:P

ugm6hr
August 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm on Xfce now, but thought I'd start you off...

Gnome has a standard panel applet called "Window Picker" or "Window Selector" (unsure which). This has a close button on the active window (can't remember if it includes one for all open windows), but uses icons rather than full-size text.

You can achieve a similar effect with this applet:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1157298

Or just add a manual launcher to shortcut the same effect with Alt + F4
xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'keydown F4' 'keyup F4' 'keyup Alt_L'

Not sure if that helps... Additionally, there are lots of How-tos on how to make Gnome look and behave like OSX, so presumably that might be of interest, and potentially have an alternative solution.

deepdeep
August 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm on Xfce now, but thought I'd start you off...

Gnome has a standard panel applet called "Window Picker" or "Window Selector" (unsure which). This has a close button on the active window (can't remember if it includes one for all open windows), but uses icons rather than full-size text.

You can achieve a similar effect with this applet:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1157298

Or just add a manual launcher to shortcut the same effect with Alt + F4
xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'keydown F4' 'keyup F4' 'keyup Alt_L'

Not sure if that helps... Additionally, there are lots of How-tos on how to make Gnome look and behave like OSX, so presumably that might be of interest, and potentially have an alternative solution.

thanks dude~!