PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] weird nonfunctionality

gregapan
August 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I recently installed two programs--skype and eMusic's download manager. Both of them are more or less nonfunctional. They definitely installed, as I have access to the interface windows and menus, etc. However, skype can't make calls--when I initiate a call, it immediately tells me "call finished" and "sound playback error"--while the eMusic download manager can"t recognize Mp3 files--it thinks they are emx files, which is what happens when you do not have the manager.

Here's the weirder part: when I tried to uninstall these, thinking that a reinstall might do the trick, I found that neither application was listed in the Add/remove Programs list--not under "All" programs or any other category.

I have the latest software update for my ubuntu version (jaunty jackalope), by the way.

Anyone?

rainwalker
August 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Skype doesn't play nice with PulseAudio at the moment; I really wish they'd put more effort into the Linux version. I've never really messed with it but I'm sure some people have gotten it working, you could try searching the forums or google for problems with Skype and PulseAudio
I haven't used the eMusic thing at all, but I know that not all applications are listed in the Add/Remove programs thing (I really don't see the point to it). I always use Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) to manage what's installed on my computer, you could try using that instead.