PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu will not install, errors

theeedragonseye
August 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu. I want to install a full version of of it and not a demo. I followed the directions, I dled the iso and burnt it onto a cd and reboot my computer with xp on it.

I got all the way the way to the ubuntu installation menu, but every time i choose install ubuntu i get this msg

init rc-default main process (2953) terminated with status 2

I know nothing about linux, I also deleted the previous XP os off the HDD too, and still nothing.

running_rabbit07
August 4th, 2009, 02:57 AM
When you first start the LiveCD check the disk. It is possible that the disl is bad or you may have the wrong ISO, there is one for AMD64 and one for the others.

What is your machine's specs.

harry71194
August 4th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Is your desktop a Dell? I got this error on my Dell when I tried to install a Desktop Ubuntu Version on it. I ended up installing the server with no GUI, then installing GNOME, then `startx. It worked then.

theeedragonseye
August 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I used the ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso file. My computer is not a dell its a HP.

I used the ubuntu 8.10 alternate and I installed everything, I got all the way to the point were I finished installing and was told restart then I got this msg

init: rc2 main process (4263) killed by SEGV signal.

I am getting closer, I actually got Grun to install.

Need a lil more help plz.