PDA

View Full Version : Shell Shocked from shell scripts

lile001
August 4th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I am pretty new at shell scripts, having written two, one of which actually worked. Now I'm trying to figure out why this doesn't work suddenly.

I have a simple shell script called junk.sh, containing the classic line:

echo "Fear not our robot overlords"

I have run

chmod 775 junk.sh
and
chmod +x junk.sh.

When I type "junk" or "junk.sh" at a terminal, in the same directory, I get:

bash: junk: command not found

Now, I am sure that I did this successfully once before, making a little script that actually did something. What does it take to make this script executable?

pizmooz
August 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM
try adding as the very first line of your script:

#!/bin/bash

it is the 'she-bang', it determines what interpretor runs the scripts

benj1
August 4th, 2009, 01:59 AM
also you need to use ./junk.sh

unless youve exported the path in your .bashrc
ie
export PATH=$PATH:/home/user/bin

lile001
August 4th, 2009, 02:03 AM
try adding as the very first line of your script:

#!/bin/bashit is the 'she-bang', it determines what interpretor runs the scripts

Hmm. Robot overlords are still winning. Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Fear not our robot overlords."

and the result is

bash: ./junk.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

kayvortex
August 4th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Well,

bash: ./junk.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

means that your shell can't find the interpretor that you requested -- i.e., /bin/bash can't be found on your system.

What does,

echo $SHELL
print out?

Edit: forget that, I've spotted that "^M" in the output you posted. What editor are you using to write that script? "^M" is usually the result of editing MS-DOS text files since Microsoft uses a different convention for indicating the end of a line in a text document.

jpkotta
August 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Yes, CRLF line endings will muck up a shebang line. You need Unix (LF) endings. Look at the tofrodos package, and you probably want to configure your editor to save with Unix line endings.

lile001
August 4th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well,

means that your shell can't find the interpretor that you requested -- i.e., /bin/bash can't be found on your system.

What does,

echo $SHELLprint out?

Edit: forget that, I've spotted that "^M" in the output you posted. What editor are you using to write that script? "^M" is usually the result of editing MS-DOS text files since Microsoft uses a different convention for indicating the end of a line in a text document.

Ah that's it. I was playing around with Wine yesterday and now Notepad is infesting my system. I didn't pay attention to what editor pops up. gedit fixed it.