PDA

View Full Version : Some Videos I made about Linux

the mage
August 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hey there, forgive me if I am posting this on the wrong forum, I couldn't find any other suitable :)
I'm Manos and have been playing with linux since....almost three years. I seriously took it up and used it as my main OS for almost a year but because I had to use Adobe CS for some school work I had to move to windows to ease myself from the dualbooting which was getting a hustle. Also it was the Uni entrance exams which minimized my time. Now all these are over and I am back on linux, this time using Kubuntu.

Well In some efford to attract more friends to the linux community I took the time to make some videos, which could show them that it's easy, simple, robust, feature-full and of course very very beautiful unlike some want to claim....

It's my first time to make such or any videos at all to be honest so excuse my lack of experience/knowledge on some stuff....

Here is my first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOI0DmGppLw
It's a basic overview, lasting about 7 minutes.

The second one is shorter, 1.30 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamMOKxcYU0
It is intended to show how easy it is to transform the looks and interface plus, how beautiful linux can be.
And because I know some people all they want is to get impressed I chose to transform it to something "impressive" imo although I prefer the initial look :P

The third and for now last one lasts a bit more than 8 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnZ49ekdBQ
It's intended to show how feature-full and how wellthought and customisable linux can be adapting to the user. It almost acts before the user indends to having features that save time and efford from basic to more complex tasks in our everyday computer use.

Opinions appreciated,
Manos
:)

--------------------
Here is another one, it's about the Magic Folder Plasmoid that helps you keep things tidy! It's about 2 minutes :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIyE4aXuNc

Sealbhach
August 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hey those images are really clear and sharp, even after going onto Youtube. What did you use to record them?

Personally, I think for a show-desktop kind of video, anything over 3 minutes is just too long, that's about how long I can watch videos like these. But these are really good because when I go fullscreen I can still read everything on the desktop so tell us what you used?

completist
August 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I only watched the first one, its pretty good. I especially like the map in the background showing night and day. Where did you get that map background?

the mage
August 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hey those images are really clear and sharp, even after going onto Youtube. What did you use to record them?

Personally, I think for a show-desktop kind of video, anything over 3 minutes is just too long, that's about how long I can watch videos like these. But these are really good because when I go fullscreen I can still read everything on the desktop so tell us what you used?

(gtk-)recordmydesktop but on the options I increased the FPS to 50.
I agree about the length but I guess I forgot to cut it when I should :P After all I really wanted to show the most I could out of all the great stuff linux has.

I only watched the first one, its pretty good. I especially like the map in the background showing night and day. Where did you get that map background?
Thanks. The map was by default there, I think it's a feature of KDE 4.3 (although might be in 4.2 as well, idk...I upgraded to 4.3 right after installing...) Especially as far as the first video I used a vanilla kubuntu system, right from installation. The only change I did was to upgrade to kde 4.3 from the ppa repos so everything you see there is part of kubuntu by default (except a few features which require to upgrade to kde 4.3 which btw will be installed by default on Karmic!)
The second one imo is more interesting plus it's really short, 1.30 mins long.

completist
August 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you the mage.

starcannon
August 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Excellent quality on your desktop recorder, nice; bout all I'd want is some narration if you ever have time to do a voice over for it.

Grats in a job well done.:popcorn:

DeadSuperHero
August 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Really loved them. The first was my favorite, as it's KDE. Also, you get bonus points for song choice.

Did you have a really fast processor to take these, or has desktop video recording gotten that good?

the mage
August 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Excellent quality on your desktop recorder, nice; bout all I'd want is some narration if you ever have time to do a voice over for it.

Grats in a job well done.:popcorn:
Thank you :)
As far as the narration/voice part I thought of doing that but I just wanted to get something out fast sort of like a test. Might consider this for any such videos that might follow.
As far as the recorder (recordmydesktop) although it's shart, clear and easy to use it does have a drawback... The actual screen moves at 60 FPS I think, while recordmydesktop can record up to 50 FPS which means that 10 frames are lost every second, hence some non-smooth looking parts like when I move the cursor fast.

Really loved them. The first was my favorite, as it's KDE. Also, you get bonus points for song choice.

Did you have a really fast processor to take these, or has desktop video recording gotten that good?
Thanks a lot :)
I didn't intend to put any sound at all but I happened to notice AudioSwap on youtube and wanted to test it and eventually liked the result of the first one so decided to keep on that for the rest 2. The only issue is that only the first part of the first video has music as I had no experience with youtube publishing and didn't know how to do it right.
As far as the processor, I am using a regular Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 ghz.
Also I didn't notice any considerable CPU usage while recording so I guess it could function on much lower end machines good enough. But if the performance of the vid recording is based on CPU I can't wait to see/imagine how it will look on the next generation of processors let's say Core i7-975 Extreme Edition (quad) at 3.33 GHz
Would love to have such a CPU btw but it's a bit (or more...) pricey @ $1000
Anyway sorry for the out of subject thingy,
Thanks for watching :)
Manos

the mage
August 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Completed another one, this time it's short-ish , 2 minutes!
I am going to add it to the first post as well.
It's about the Magic Folder Plasmoid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIyE4aXuNc
I hope you like it :)