PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't log in to Facebook, Flickr & any other PHP based sites.

putush
August 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since 2 months now. I have Firefox 3.5.2 and Opera installed as my browsers. I have noticed, that I am unable to login to Facebook, Flickr and upload content with Flash uploader based sites like mediafire. Even basic documents created in Zoho office, I cannot store them.
It has been happening since the time I have started using the OS. Surprisingly I am able to log into Yahoo mail but not Flickr, and Facebook just allows me to view my page, I cannot do anything.
I just can't pin point where there problem is, because its being repeated on all browsers and adobe air apps on my comp, yet not by any of these service providers when I have tried to seek help.
With Firefox further, I am not able to post a thread in this forum. Although, with Opera I can.
Kindly help.
Thank you

stoogiebuncho
August 4th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Have you disabled cookies? (in firefox: Edit > Preferences > Privacy)

Are you browsing in private mode?

putush
August 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
no I am not browsing in private mode. Neither are cookies disabled

superprash2003
August 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
try using opendns servers - 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

putush
August 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I used opendns. However, the problem is still not solved. I still cannot access the sites mentioned above.

stoogiebuncho
August 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I wonder if this could be a permissions issue. If you don't have permissions set up correctly in your settings folder, it might not let firefox save data there.

Try checking the permissions on your .mozilla folder (probably in home/username/.mozilla)

Chemical Imbalance
August 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Do you have NoScript or similar add-ons installed?

jflaker
August 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I wonder if this could be a permissions issue. If you don't have permissions set up correctly in your settings folder, it might not let firefox save data there.

Try checking the permissions on your .mozilla folder (probably in home/username/.mozilla)

If that is the case, then the easiest way to solve that would be to

export your bookmarks so you don't lose them
uninstall FireFox
go into your home folder and press CTL-H to unhide files and folders
find the folder called .mozilla and delete it
Reinstall Firefox
Import your bookmarks
Try again.

putush
August 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
No I just have adblock and element hiding enabled. The problem does not seem to be browser dependent. I have had similar problems using Opera too. Anyway, I had reinstalled firefox after deleting .mozilla, however, nothing has changed so far.

stoogiebuncho
August 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hmmm, this is an interesting one...

Have you tried connecting to those sites with a different computer (over the same internet connection)?

Granito_man
August 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
OK.
Did you try this:
1. On your firefox browser: edit-preferences-contents. Make sure both java and javascript are enabled.

putush
August 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
@ Stoogiebuncho: Yes I have connected to the same sites through a friend's laptop. They worked fine. [But he's running Windows Vista with Firefox].

@Granito-man: I have them already enabled. However, there's no change.

superprash2003
August 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
2 more things you could try
1)disable ipv6 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebBrowsingSlowIPv6IPv4
2)change MTU http://www.prash-babu.com/2009/06/how-to-change-mtu-in-ubuntu-using-gui.html

putush
August 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
@superprash2003 Hi I tried out both the things you have mentioned. Problem is, its still not working. Firefox doesn't even log-in. Opera shows bad HTML request (#408 ).

SuaSwe
August 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
This is a slight stab in the dark but I have seen wonky ISP proxies causing this problem. Have you any set up, either in your browsers or under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy ?

Also, have you tried reinstalling Flash?

SuaSwe
August 5th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Also, have you by any chance installed PHP or other server applications recently?

sikevux
August 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have the same issue.
The redirect after logging into this forum won't work (Looked like JavaScript)

Got Jaunty with 2.6.28-14-generic Kernel, Running both Firefox 3.0.13 and Firefox 3.5.3pre (build on the 5th of August). It's a 4 day old system.
I can use some JavaScript. E.g this small script:
http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/repository/javascripts/2009/05/881411/docopen.html
and this sniffer works great:

http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/javascript.html (http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/javascript.html)

Why won't some JavaScript's work??

Did all the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread. Post by post.

sikevux@elbook:~$ ls -lart | grep .mozilla
drwx------ 5 sikevux sikevux 4096 2009-08-05 20:57 .mozilla

SAMBA is the only server software running.
And Facebook etc. worked great on the same machine 5 days ago but then it got Dells 8.04 on it.
All the other computers (with all different kind of OSes) in my network can see Facebook etc. like it's supposed to be.

putush
August 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
@SuaSwe I have no PHP or other server applications. I also don't have a proxy file set up under apt.cofig.d. Reinstalled flash too.
Its still not working.

SuaSwe
August 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Have you tried a LiveCD to see if you have the same problem there?

putush
August 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
@SuaSwe: Hi, your idea of using the LiveCD worked like a charm. Everything works as it should. However, what does this imply, do I need to reinstall my entire Ubuntu set up? Or could there be a way to not do that?

sinaisix
August 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I believe it could be with the version of Firefox you are running. Try uninstalling the 3.5.2 and install the native version that is in the repositories which i think is 3.012. If you are able to access those sites using the livecd then the problem i strongly believe is with the version of FF.

putush
August 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
@sinaisix I reinstalled Firefox through the repos. Running 3.5.2 and surprisingly everything is working. My problems are solved. Brilliant.