PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tarball?? huh

masonkersnick
August 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
[solved]i am trying to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 and so on it says after a couple steps i will have to download a tarball manually something to do with /tmp could someone tell me how i would do this?

ibutho
August 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
A tarball is a tar file (tape archive file although you don't need a tape drive to use such files) thats also been zipped e.g. a tar.gz, tar.bz2 etc. I guess downloading it manually means that you have to go to some website using a broswer and download the file you need from there.

philinux
August 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
For tarball think zip/archive.

What exactly you trying to do?

Most ubuntu apps are available via add/remove or system>admin>synaptic...
downloading from web is windows way, installing from ubuntu servers is the new way.

masonkersnick
August 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
yea but i cant upgrade a eol version from my desktop

llamabr
August 3rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
i am trying to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 and so on it says after a couple steps i will have to download a tarball manually something to do with /tmp could someone tell me how i would do this?

You should copy the entire command.

But I believe that 7.1 is no longer supported in the archives, which is why you're getting this. You'd be better just reinstalling from scratch.

masonkersnick
August 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
i really cant just start from scratch because i cant even get my disk drive open so i am kinda screwed there i guess i just have to figure all of this out p.s. i am following the instructions from ubuntu.com i think i understand what it is saying i just had to double check

-=hazard=-
August 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
You can check this out (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades) but its no more supported.

masonkersnick
August 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It will fail, because it cannot download a specific tarball which is needed to the upgrade, this is due to an error in the meta-release file. it will however leave a subdirectory in /tmp, owned by root. ok this is what it says for the next step but i dont know what that means